Model Train Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
My 5-year old grandson, Hudson, is visiting again this weekend. You may remember my earlier post, "How to delight a grandson" where I gave him his first model train. At that time, it was just a temporary setup. A simple loop of Atlas sectional track on a folding 4' x 2' table. Since then "Papa", as he calls me, has been working hard every day building a more permanent, (6' x 3') N-scale layout for him. We applied ground foam "grass" yesterday. Hudson put it on thick enough to resemble a golf course, but it's his railroad, so what he wants is O.K.
Well today, we ballsted all his layout's track. I had to stifle an internal guffaw when he said "This is fun papa!" "I really like doing this!" Considering the fact that most of us put ballasting right up there with wiring as one of the least liked tasks in this hobby, I was surprised to hear that anyone actually LIKED ballasting! However, he's five, and brand new, so just about everything is new and exciting, and yes, fun, for him. That made it fun for me too!

Traction Fan 馃檪

Registered
I remember when mowing grass was fun. Barely remember...

Seriously though, sounds like you and Hudson are having a large time and that's awesome!

It's said that youth is wasted on the young, but it sounds like you're experiencing some youth through him.

Registered
He's a good lad. He'll change as he ages, like we all do. As my father says, with a Freudian accent, "We are too soon oldt, und too late schmardt!" He is not old, still keen, still learning, and has that innocence we all miss sooo deeply. I hope you took some photos to prove that, at one time long ago, he actually enjoyed ballasting. :p

Registered
Well, maybe the first time. But no, not really.:(

Registered
I'd rather watch paint dry.

Registered
If he thinks ballasting is fun, send him to my place for a visit.... losts of track needing ballast here, and I'd rather have a root canal than do it myself! :)

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
I hope he has a 4-6-4 on his layout.
Murv2;

He will, come christmas. Right now he's running a Kato PA-1 in Santa Fe's classic, silver & red "warbonnet" colors and he loves it!

Traction Fan 馃槉

Registered
The PA's were, in my opinion, some of the best looking passenger locomotives ever built! I have an older Athearn blue box PA-1, both the A and B units. The A will get a Soundtraxx Tsunami2 decoder, with the appropriate Alco sound scheme of course.

Registered
The PA's were, in my opinion, some of the best looking passenger locomotives ever built! I have an older Athearn blue box PA-1, both the A and B units. The A will get a Soundtraxx Tsunami2 decoder, with the appropriate Alco sound scheme of course.
I couldn't agree more! I love the look of the PA's. The only problem is that those really long 3 axle trucks need wide curves to run well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts