Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a good way of ballasting track to roadbed where the ballast holds the contour nicely, and doesn't interfere with the operation of crossings and turnouts? I ballasted my track, but I'm just not satisfied with the results. It's going overtop of woodland scenics roadbed, and I've been unable to find a way to get the ballast to stick to the sides of that (on the slope) without heaping on tons of ballast and having the stone end up really wide. I also got some stuck in my crossings which has been a major pain to get out.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I apply white glue with a brush on the slopes, then add ballast on the sides. When it's dry, I add more. The second layer 'sticks' to the first layer :)

·
Registered
191 Posts
When applying white glue with a brush, you might want to thin it with water. 1 part water 1 part glue or 1 part water 2 parts glue should work well.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay, I'll try that, I was using the wet water / dilluted glue through a spray bottle method but still getting some clumping. Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Josh;

I didn't notice Woodland Scenics products in your scenery section. They have good books and videos on building scenery using their products.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll have to work on the search then, we actually carry the full line of products and I used their grand valley system to construct my layout.

I'll see what I can do to improve the searching, it's always good to get feedback on what's not working. I'm in the process of rolling out a new wishlist feature on our site so people can save their favorite items and share them with friends and loved ones, so we get the things we want, and not another handy bundler:D!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Not bad at all, Josh.

Tell us about the train. I can't make out the loco wheel configuration. But it looks good with those vintage heavyweights. Who made the loco and cars... this is HO, right?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, they are ho. the engine is a proto2000 2-4-0 DCC a sound. Its my first steam engine and I use it to run sightseeing excursions. The cars I picked up at strausburg pa and are replicas of the heavy weights they have there.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Ummm, what is ballasting??:confused:
"Ballast" is the crushed stone that is laid around the ties which help give the rails and ties some structure... You can buy model track which already has ballast molded onto it, but some people like to make their own, hence the term "ballasting" :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
This is a big help. I'll be doing this chore right the first time! Using a brush to brush on the glue mixture is a great idea!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts