Model Train Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 4X8 table with a 3" lip on it. To make it even I am going to fill it up with a material here are the options im thinking about
Pink Styrofoam
A 3" thick sheet of plywood
A 5X9 ping pong table on top of the table
Or if you have any other suggestions please tell me in a reply and leave your opinion on what I should do.

·
Hobo for Life
6,063 Posts
A 3 inch thick peice of plywood? 4x8! That will be heavy! Think 6 peices of 1/2 inch plywood. Foam board is always good. You can also put in grades , or dig out depressions easily. Can you cut the lip off? Just an idea. What scale do you use?

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
Flip the lip?

So I have a 4X8 table with a 3" lip on it. To make it even I am going to fill it up with a material here are the options im thinking about
Pink Styrofoam
A 3" thick sheet of plywood
A 5X9 ping pong table on top of the table
Or if you have any other suggestions please tell me in a reply and leave your opinion on what I should do.
Traindude;

How about flipping the table upside down? The lip would then be a supporting frame, and the bottom,assuming it's flat, could be the, "base of your layout."

Traction Fan

·
Registered
9,854 Posts
Why do you need to fill it up? Use 2" insulating foam board and leave that 1" raised lip around the outside. If you ever derail a train at speed near the edge of your layout, you will be glad you did.

Certainly, though, if you already have the structure (i.e., the ping pong table), there is no need to add more (like plywood). Keep it light.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts