Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have amassed a decent collection of HO figures and wondered what people are using for bases to stand them on for portability ? I think something dime sized would be perfect.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Yeah... No bases needed !! A gummy type adhesive is good if you do want to manipulate them at times.. Or, even white glue their shoes, butts down.. Glue dries clear and can be melted later with water....

·
Premium Member
4,134 Posts
Use tacky or gummy glue, or rubber cement...
On scenic 'scrabble' and grass over cork, rubber, or construction foam, drill and insert wire, then press into place.

·
Registered
829 Posts
If you absolutely have to have bases you could use little pieces of clear plastic like LifeLike used to do.

Dime sized is way too big. Punch some little circles out of any clear packaging with a paper hole punch and use pva or windshield glue to attach the figure.

I agree though that gluing or pinning is a better option.

·
Registered
9,897 Posts
Yeah... No bases needed !! A gummy type adhesive is good if you do want to manipulate them at times.. Or, even white glue their shoes, butts down.. Glue dries clear and can be melted later with water....
I use rubber cement. Holds 'em in place, but they're easy to pull up and move if you want to relocate them.

·
Registered
479 Posts
If you absolutely have to have bases you could use little pieces of clear plastic like LifeLike used to do.

Dime sized is way too big. Punch some little circles out of any clear packaging with a paper hole punch and use pva or windshield glue to attach the figure.

I agree though that gluing or pinning is a better option.
I like the plastic idea. My son likes to move them around and play with them.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
What you need is a 3D printer, then you could print up a variety of bases in different sizes to fit each figure. :D

However as a more reasonable suggestion, what about picking up a box of small fender washers? The weight would help keep the figures from falling over.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The reason for the bases is because the figures will not be stationary in one location, I will be making videos and they will some will be used in different areas as needed such as following a train work crew / MOW etc.. and this will be made into videos.....I will look into the small fender washer, great idea..thanks

·
Registered
829 Posts
The reason for the bases is because the figures will not be stationary in one location, I will be making videos and they will some will be used in different areas as needed such as following a train work crew / MOW etc.. and this will be made into videos.....I will look into the small fender washer, great idea..thanks
If you're repositioning them for filming I'd definitely go for something clear and small. Though I might matte varnish the clear basses. Would no longer be completely transparent but it'd be small, neutral and non reflective

·
Registered
494 Posts
If you only need a few, Kadee bulk coupler package, pair of scissors, cut in quarter inch squares. For a lot go to a hobby lobby or michaels and pick up a quarter inch circle punch used by scrapbookers, thin sheet of clear lexan or whatever and punch them out by the hundred.

·
Registered
829 Posts
I like the plastic idea. My son likes to move them around and play with them.

We do a similar thing with our Christmas O layout. I bought a bunch of the cheap figures painted them with paint markers and based them on plain white flat poker chips like these.
The white color blends in with the felt "snow" base and the kids can rearrange them at will.

Meant to blog them last year but forgot. Maybe this year...

·
Registered
479 Posts
That's a cool idea too. Probably a bit big for HO, but I imagine it's just about right for O scale.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I use clear flat blister packing and cut the edges a bit "wavey" then add a bit of white glue and add a bit of ground cover appropriate to where the figure stands. used to do it on my slot car tracks as well.

·
Registered
357 Posts
with your reply of why you need portability, most of the answers here do not work well, although they would on a 'normal' static layout ...
what you can try is something fairly heavy, like a fender washer, to use as an easily moveable base plate

·
Registered
8,601 Posts
with your reply of why you need portability, most of the answers here do not work well, although they would on a 'normal' static layout ...
what you can try is something fairly heavy, like a fender washer, to use as an easily moveable base plate
The fender washers were already mentioned back in post #10, but thanks for the input.....

·
Registered
829 Posts
I really think fender washers are going to be too thick and large to make good basses for 1/87 scale figures. Plus they've got a hole in middle

I've seen washers used for war game miniatures but they are larger and obvious basses are the norm.

·
Registered
9,897 Posts
I really think fender washers are going to be too thick and large to make good basses for 1/87 scale figures. Plus they've got a hole in the middle.

I've seen washers used for war game miniatures but they are larger and obvious basses are the norm.
So the tenors are a little more discrete? :)

It kind of depends on the application. If they're going to be moved for stop action videography, then a big, stable base might be necessary to support the figure in some positions. On the other hand, if exact positioning is less critical, then something smaller would probably be better.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts