Model Train Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I have a basic oval Bachmann G Scale train set. The train runs great for a while and then it just stops. It appears the transformer is over-heating and then clicks off. After a while it operates just fine again, and then we repeat the cycle.

Any suggestions. Could this be due to dirty track, pooring wiring to track?

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
welcome to the forum.

it sure can be. also perhaps something is shorting out in there.

but i would just use better transformer. i burned 2 toy train transformers (nothing special happened, they just went "poof".) and then just got normal solid-state power-pack from ebay - MRC techII 1400. actually i got a pair of them for 20$ shipped. it is amazing compared to the 10$ junk supplies they peddle with kits. suddenly all my trains, even the cheapest ones (actually especially the cheapest ones actually) started running much smoother

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am such a rookie, please hand in there with me. I have the train setup on the carpet around the Christmas tree. This is not the optimum place to setup the train correct?

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I am such a rookie, please hand in there with me. I have the train setup on the carpet around the Christmas tree. This is not the optimum place to setup the train correct?
No but that shouldn't really matter.

Does the train run smoothly or does it seem to struggle going around the track? Is the track and wheels clean, free of dirt and debris?

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,034 Posts
What kind of transformer is it?

Sounds like that might be the problem.
Or as it been said, there's a short somewhere.

Maybe in the engine?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bought the engine new. The track I purchased at a thrift store. What would you recommend I do to clean the track.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
IMHO (got that in before tankist could!), the problem is the transformer. It's acting like one that has a heat-activated circuit breaker that resets after cooling. Clean the track and lube the train because they deserve it, but I think the culprit is the trans. As for how to clean the track, I would get a very, very fine sandpaper and go over it. Train stores also sell something like a large rubber block eraser; in theory, this will be less abusive than sandpaper. Most of all, no steel wool. The fragments will eat your engine.

Best of luck, and welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
122 Posts
In my experience, carpet fibers can real gum up the works on anything with gears. If you want the train to last, you may want get it up on a table or shelf.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts