Model Train Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I received this basicdcc kit off of ebay. I assembled it but the guy doesnt want to give me information on how to connect it. It has connections: 12-16vdc, dcc in (+ and -), dcc out, and track. How do I go about connecting it to my set up?

Any advise or ideas are welcome.

Thank you,

Mikhail

·
Registered
890 Posts
Hello,

I received this basicdcc kit off of ebay. I assembled it but the guy doesnt want to give me information on how to connect it. It has connections: 12-16vdc, dcc in (+ and -), dcc out, and track. How do I go about connecting it to my set up?
Mikhail
I assume you mean DC input, not DCC. What is the model of the controller? And, link to to the unit you bought off ebay. It isn't necessarily the responsibility of the seller to provide detailed information about what they're selling, IF they say that up front.

Based on what you said, you will use a DC input of 12-16v in the polarity stated, and the output to the DCC out will go to the track. If is has DCC out AND a track connection, that doesn't make sense to me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
basicdcc question 2

I assume you mean DC input, not DCC. What is the model of the controller? And, link to to the unit you bought off ebay. It isn't necessarily the responsibility of the seller to provide detailed information about what they're selling, IF they say that up front.

Based on what you said, you will use a DC input of 12-16v in the polarity stated, and the output to the DCC out will go to the track. If is has DCC out AND a track connection, that doesn't make sense to me.
The pcb is labeled dcc in with + and -. the thing that i got is called basicdcc kit on ebay for $38. www.basicdcc.com

·
Registered
9,880 Posts
Looking at the website, Basic DCC is a pretty good description; "bare bones" might be more accurate. Looks like the builder only wants to control one loco, and only cares about motor and headlight control.

I hope you weren't spent iced only by the low price, but actually knew what you were getting. Unless I'm really missing something, capability-wise, thus set doesn't compare favorably to ths Bachmann EZ Command or MRC Prodigy Explorer, never mind the various "full featured" systems out there.

·
Registered
8,647 Posts
I agree with WVCGA...you don't have a DCC controller.
You have a booster. To run trains you need the matching DCC
controller which would connect to the DCC in.

You may need a power supply also, the information
on line is very sketchy.

I tried the [email protected] and got a warning
from my system so I didn't proceed.

You might try emailing the maker for more
information.

This type of fly bv night gear is why most of us buy only
recognized brands, Bachmann, Digitrax, NCE or
MRC. Each comes with all you need to run trains
right out of the box.

Don

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
the basic booster is hardly anything by itself, the L298 while being capable of 3 amps, routinely does not put more than 1 to 1 1/2 amps .. at 12 volt you lose a bit in the booster [about 1.3 volts], and the same in the decoder [for the bridge], which only leaves a little over 10 volts to drive the loco ..
for about the same money you can build my old fashioned booster [which will run up to 43 amps with additional cooling], but you will require a wall wart of sorts, and a controller to supply the DCC signal .. if you want to do it yourself look at DCC++ instead ... very similar but a lot more information on it ..

ps .. several of these would work with a main line makers system supplying the DCC signal, a cheap way of supplying block power

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Well ya did save a lot of money on the Billy Bob's DCC system. Hope he's around for as long as you are interested in trains and need help with it.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Hello,

... It has connections: 12-16vdc, dcc in (+ and -), dcc out, and track...

Mikhail
Your description tells me you only have a 'booster'. It still needs a DCC signal to work, and it amplifies it to send on to a 'district'. It needs its own power supply so that it can 'boost' the signal coming from a DCC unit like a Zephyr or a Prodigy, or something from Lenz or Roco.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
BasicDCC connections

Hello,

I am still having problems understanding why the PCB is labeled DCC with a + and - . The DCC signal is an AC type of signal, so how do I connect this booster to my MRC prodigy express2 DCC controller? Any ideas?

Also how would I go about testing this basicDCC without ruining my controller and booster?

Thank you.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
the input DCC++ connects to the controller DCC out, which in the case of the MRC, is track out ..
the + and - only matter if you have more than one hooked up ..
To test the booster, the controller must be hooked up, there is no guarantee that you assembled the booster properly though ..

·
Registered
9,880 Posts
How many locos are you trying to run? The Prodigy Express2 will run 4-5 non-sound equipped locos simultaneously. Unless you have a very large layout, just skip the booster and connect the Prodigy to the rails.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts