Railroad Tycoon
24,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
BAVARIA TRAIN TOWER

Made out of tin?
16" high.

Won it for 99 cents. :smilie_daumenpos:
Plus $15 to ship. :smilie_daumenneg:
Still I think I got a piece of some kind of history.

He had it listed for $9.99 with a reserve, no one bit.
He then listed it for 99 cents with no reserve, Ed took the hook, I put a whopping bid of $1.66....no one bid but me. (sucker)?:p:dunno:

SOLD AMERICAN....$16 bucks.

I AM WONDERING WHAT IT IS? :D

Look at the pictures it looks like there is some kind of lever for something and on the platform there is something that must have mounted up there to go with the lever.

ANYONE KNOW WHAT I GOT?:confused:

I just paid for it and have to wait for it to come.

$T2eC16F,!)cFIctv0JZJBSHlP7uu0w~~60_3.JPG

$T2eC16J,!y4FI,BEhCiFBSHlQ2u5ww~~60_3.JPG

$T2eC16ZHJGUFFhzP3VkYBSHlQ5Q+v!~~60_3.JPG

$T2eC16V,!)MFIb2ZliOpBSHlQ78l8Q~~60_3.JPG

$(KGrHqZHJCYFIb3y,20FBSHlQ-v,s!~~60_3.JPG

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You paid about $1.66 more than I would have. ;) I have no idea where it came from, looks like some kid made it in his basement. :D
I got it for 99 cents. My top bid was $1.66. :p

I can't understand why no one else bid? :confused:

I think it is rumored that Hitler used this on his O gauge layout in the bunker. :smokin:
You......are just jealous of my Bavarian piece of history.:p

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It looks like it's missing pieces. There are a couple of holes where something should be attached. What does that lever do?
A copy and paste from my first post, :p

Look at the pictures it looks like there is some kind of lever for something and on the platform there is something that must have mounted up there to go with the lever.

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did a little internet sleuthing and found out that it looks like a Bing, Gauge 1 signal tower.
Bing made different types of these from the early 1900's to around the early 30's as best as I can figure out.
After looking at different but similar signal towers, I came to the conclusion that this one is from 1915.

You can see the missing pieces.

g-4721.jpg

g-3-4721.jpg

g-2-4721.jpg

Mine just needs a little restoration work. :p

You think this was big.......http://www.modeltrainforum.com/showthread.php?t=18964

This one will probably tower over the #66 semaphore. :D

$16 bucks for a hunk of tin from 1915.......good deal (I think):eek:, another save of model RR history for ED. :smokin::thumbsup:

·
Hobo for Life
6,109 Posts
Ok so a bit big fot the layout, put a blinking red light on top and it looks like a communication tower. Easy peasy.

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A little Bing history, a real little. :smokin:

Bing or Gebrüder Bing ("Bing brothers") was a German toy company founded in 1863 in Nuremberg, Germany by two brothers, Ignaz and Adolf Bing.
They made a bunch of different toys and other things.

Gebruder bing trademarks mark the year of manufacture.

http://www.mibepa.info/tb/tb101c.htm

I will see what mine is marked with when I get it, I am fairly sure it is from 1915.

Edit,
whoops those are for the bear.

·
Hobo for Life
6,109 Posts
Its still cool. And that was a little history. I thought the base was banged up on yours but from the pictures it looks exactly like how it was made.

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Its still cool. And that was a little history. I thought the base was banged up on yours but from the pictures it looks exactly like how it was made.

It sure was not made by some little kid in his basement, huh? :rolleyes:

I wonder if I can dig up the parts for it?

Some of Bing's prewar items go for big bucks.
But only if they are in their original condition.

That is what I was looking at, take the platform off and just use it as some kind of radio tower.
I will have to wait to see what I got when I get it.:smokin:

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
In the picture of the one I found it looks like something is missing from on top of the light box see the 2 holes?

The other ones Bing made have different post for the rails and different bases.
They also produce double armed towers.

The best I can see mine is from 1915, I wish we had a Bing expert on the site.

OH well, I think even if I made it a radio transmission tower painted in the red/white scheme it would look OK on the layout.
It surely will attract the eye towards it.
Unusual? :D

Before I do anything maybe I will look for parts to fix it up.
I don't think they will come by easy.

And the reason it caught my eye was for redoing it into radio transmission tower.
I will have to wait till I get it to decide. :smokin:

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
you might have some luck on international ebay sites for parts, maybe ebay.co.uk ? I don't know if theres any other European based ones, with English as the main language though

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
you might have some luck on international ebay sites for parts, maybe ebay.co.uk ? I don't know if theres any other European based ones, with English as the main language though

Thanks Mate......you already know that I can speak a lot of Australian once I hit the turps and I am full from a bunch of tinnies. :D

I think it might be here tomorrow, I might just repaint it into a radio transmission tower that is what I originally thought when I first saw it.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts