Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back in the day in NY: Schaefer, Rheingold, Schlitz.
Back in the day in TN: Stroh’s, Falls City
and later, Natural Light.
Now: My go to is Yuengling, a nice old PA beer, reasonably priced. Almost any craft brew, especially Stouts and Porters. Rarely have those though because they are pricey.
Two is my daily limit. Any more and I’m beat the next day.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
BEER

Here in N.E. Pa. back in the day -Stegmaier, Pabst, Schmitz
Later - Gennesee was big
Then- Coors Light
Now- Yuengling, Coors Light

Don't hardly drink anymore unless there's company on holiday.

But I think a case of Corona might be the cure for the virus!! :hah:

·
Registered
503 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Back in the day, Mickeys Big Mouth or Old Milwaukee. Both cheap and awful, perfect to discourage alcoholism in teens.

Then, Fat Tire. Until New Belgium went out of business.

Nowadays, Tommyknockers Lemongrass, when I can get it!

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
Currently I drink Budweiser, poured from a can into a beer glass. I used to drink Bud in bottles, then glass bottles became hard to recycle, so I switched to cans. I love Bud on tap, but I can't find it anywhere in S.W. Pennsylvania. Then, Michelob on tap was very good, but now Michelob strictly produces some type of dishwasher liquid they call beer.

Everything these days are craft or artisan beers, designed for people who are happy drinking flowery tasting liquids.

Beer should taste like beer. Whiskey should taste like whiskey. Girly drinks are not beer or whiskey.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Not really a beer drinker anymore but as a kid, also in NY, Schaefer, later Bud, then Coors Light came East. Now if a restaurant has draft beer I will have a Yuengling.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I don't drink much anymore, but what I normally drink are below:

1. Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
2. Guinness
3 . Heineken
4. Grolsch

I used to brew beer(worked at a brew and hydro store for about a year), and gained a love for anything with a good hop signature. I have said over the years I'd like to brew again, and just haven't, as I'm involved of course with other hobbies..

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Beer should taste like beer. Whiskey should taste like whiskey. Girly drinks are not beer or whiskey.
Worst trend yet are these ‘fruit beers’, sours, etc. Very popular with the 30 something folks. (I’ve lost track of the names of the generations except Boomers.) But...some older folks may like them. If I want sour, I’ll throw some frozen lemonade in a blender with Rye and spring water. Been years since I did that.

A lot of beers were mentioned that I forgot. Genny, ( How bout Utica Club? Ugh!) Mickey’s Big Mouth Lol. Yep. Old Milwaukee. $ 3.99/ case back then.
Always liked Molson’s.

Yee-Haw Dunkel is one of the tastiest beers I have had. Brewed in TN. Dark, great flavor. Not sure how widely available it is.
Worst beer I can remember is Iron City. Tasted like unfiltered river water.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Anyone remember the Mini Beer Kegs that were called a tapper from the 60s/70s. I still have one someplace that I kept.

The only beer I drink now is dark ale. Love that flavor. The rest of the stuff is like drinking pee water. :D

·
Registered
204 Posts
I prefer light as well. Heavy makes me sick and gets me all corned up too fast. When we drink we make it an all day event. So light beer it is.

But those craft beers are really gaining ground here. We have 2 college towns. Houghton and Marquette. Frikin little breweries are popping up everywhere.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
In the 60's the legal age in NY was 18. I had two pals who went to college in western NY State and would bring back cases of Gennesse Cream Ale, aka Genny Cream. Those of us who stayed in the NYC area thought it was great stuff. I haven't had one in 50 years if it's still around.
Anyone remember Colt 45?

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
In the 60's the legal age in NY was 18. I had two pals who went to college in western NY State and would bring back cases of Gennesse Cream Ale, aka Genny Cream. Those of us who stayed in the NYC area thought it was great stuff. I haven't had one in 50 years if it's still around.
Anyone remember Colt 45?
I used to drink it when I was 19. There was a Mom & Pop Deli across the street from my apartment. I would buy some groceries from them and a twelve pack of Colt 45. They never asked for an ID. (back then, you had to be 21 to purchase beer or wine)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Worst trend yet are these ‘fruit beers’, sours, etc. Very popular with the 30 something folks. (I’ve lost track of the names of the generations except Boomers.) But...some older folks may like them.
You might want to ask the Belgians about this "trend" that's been around for a few hundred years. New to you or the U.S. doesn't mean it's actually just a trend. This respectfully coming from a non-30 something and a non-boomer.

As for the idea that "beer should taste like beer," who gets to define that? Sample traditional beers from around the world and they all taste like beer but may not taste at all similar. It's unlikely that many could seriously argue that Guinness, an American IPA, an English Mild, a Helles Lager, a Hefeweizen, and Budweiser don't all "taste like beer" but no one would confuse them in a blind taste test.

Try everything and then drink what you like. It's all good to somebody. :smilie_daumenpos:

1 - 20 of 57 Posts