Model Train Forum banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
A friend of mine is a competitive home brewer with a lot of awards to his credit; his stuff has just about ruined commercial beer for me. I really like porters and his Vanilla Bourbon Porter and his Pumpernickel Rye Porter are favorites. 5 taps at his house, more than some bars I've seen.

Alas, he's on an extended vacation in New Zealand right now. Might turn into a VERY extended vacation. Oh, well, at least I have a lot of wine in the house.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
A neighbor once bought a 6-pack of Jalapeno beer. The problem, as soon as you stopped drinking, the burn would start. That made you take another as swill. An endless cycle. Like the "Terminal Man."

·
Registered
74 Posts
A regular beer drinker and my go to is still Old Milwaukee. Of course I used to work for Stroh/Schlitz.:):)
Also like Stella and Bitburger and in a pinch whatever is available….. well except wheat beer.

Ken

·
Registered
118 Posts
Yuengling lager is my commercial american go to beer. I like the 'heaviness' of it. I also consider it a local as I am from PA. Heh.
Murphy's Irish Stout is my go to for a stout. Don't care for Guiness though.
The two together make a great black & tan for my tastebuds.
Many others I like and, will swill almost anything given to me that has a good bite to it. IPA's not so much. As mentioned by others, don't care for a flowery taste.
Could go on but, meh. No need.

·
Registered
8,513 Posts
Well I still like what I was raised with: Pabst Blue Ribbon beer. Nothing particularly fancy about it - its what I think of when I think "beer."

I also like the Mexican beer Tres Equis, and Kingfisher and Taj Mahal, two Indian beers they have at my favorite Indian restaurant.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Lee,
Awe yes. Good old PBR. Still a staple in 16oz cans in my profession as a audio tech/musician world. Its the go to near the performance stage. Ie; always an iced tub full of them.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
PBR got popular with the younger folks a while back. Not sure why. Remember the song ‘ Red Necks, White Socks and Blue Ribbon Beer’?
Was in Toronto last fall and it was interesting to see that the 16 oz can seemed to be the most popular beer container. (Well, 16 oz is a pint.)
They even served them at dinner in the CN Tower.
Great town. Loved the brew pub in the same roundhouse as the train museum.

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
I have that song as recorded by Buck Owens. I don't drink PBR, or any American yellow colored water called beer.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I've been drinking Sam Adams since they were a true micro brewery and few had even heard of them. I wasn't even 21.

I remember one cashier asking for my license and when I lied and told her I left it at home she said "You must be legal, no one under 21 drinks Sam Adams",

I may be buying about $1,000 worth if Massachusetts talks of closing liquor stores :D. If I can't get enough then it's any port in a storm! Whatever I get it can't be worse than being laid off and sober :laugh:

·
Registered
1,390 Posts

If I can't get enough then it's any port in a storm! Whatever I get it can't be worse than being laid off and sober :laugh:
The winter of my first year in college, Rutgers U was closed for the first time in its 212 year history because of snow. We rounded up 8 guys, piled into a station Wagon and drove into the city of New Brunswick. The liquor store was open and we returned with a keg.

·
Registered
215 Posts
The winter of my first year in college, Rutgers U was closed for the first time in its history because of snow. We rounded up 8 guys, piled into a station Wagon and drove into the city of New Brunswick. The liquor store was open and we returned with a keg.
:eek:

Before liquor stores were allowed to open on Sundays in Ma. I remember a few trips to New Hampshire :laugh:

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
In the 60's the legal age in NY was 18. I had two pals who went to college in western NY State and would bring back cases of Gennesse Cream Ale, aka Genny Cream. Those of us who stayed in the NYC area thought it was great stuff. I haven't had one in 50 years if it's still around.
Anyone remember Colt 45?
Yes, Genny Cream Ale is still around. Brings back memories of upstate NY summers. I’ll have to check the local brew pub. They bring in beers from all over the world.
Colt 45. Lol. Yes, years ago, right before going to the Tennessee Valley Fair. They would set up a temporary bar in a storefront across the street. Plywood bar top. One of the few offerings they had was Colt 45. It became a tradition. Sometimes we would pick up either it or Olde English 800. Both in 16 oz cans.
Great combination. Malt liquor, fair food and carnival rides. What could possibly go wrong? The guys would usually be ok. The girlfriends? Not so much.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Please enjoy responsibly

Have to take a minute to moderate my own thread and comments. I think, as adults, we all realize alcoholism is a serious disease.
I didn’t intend to devolve into drinking stories, but a topic like this tends to head that way. We all have our history, some of it good and some of it not.
If you think your own story is bad, attend an open AA meeting. Or an Al Anon meeting. (For family members of alcoholics and addicts). You will hear things that you can’t imagine.
So...I’ll encourage sticking to discussion of the various beer brands. It is something that a lot of us enjoy.
And if you have a problem, please contact one or both of the above mentioned groups. They work if you do.
Thanks,
Dan

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
I see that I seem to be the only German Bier drinker here.

I used to drink American beer until I re-visited Germany in 1986 when, by then, I was old enough to drink. I attended Oktoberfest that year with my sister who was stationed there, and that was the last time I drank American beer.

I was told by old-timers decades ago, that most American brewed beer tasted very much like, if not identical to most German beers of the time before prohibition. After prohibition and alcohol production resumed, something changed with the way, or ingredients used to make beer in America and it was never the same as before prohibition again.

If you pick up a six pack of a well known German brand in the package store or Class VI store, you too, may never want to drink American beer again either.

The flavor just doesn't compare.

Contrary to popular American belief, not all German Bier is Dunkle, strong, or any other fairy tales you may have heard about German Bier.

Most, if not all brewers in Germany produce a Helles or light-colored bier that looks like any other American beer in a glass. The taste is where the difference is. It actually has flavor. Not a lot of Americans I guess are used to having a flavorful beer and would rather drink watered down wort with carbonation that has to be drank ice cold to avoid the skunky taste of it as it warms.

Just the opposite occurs with German Bier (and most Czech and Belgian Bier too), the tast actually improves as it warms. It is rather bland when ice cold but the flavor explodes as it warms. Maybe drinking beer at 45°F to 55°F scares most American drinker away from a good German beer.

I haven't figured that out yet.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I see that I seem to be the only German Bier drinker here.

I used to drink American beer until I re-visited Germany in 1986 when, by then, I was old enough to drink. I attended Oktoberfest that year with my sister who was stationed there, and that was the last time I drank American beer.

I was told by old-timers decades ago, that most American brewed beer tasted very much like, if not identical to most German beers of the time before prohibition. After prohibition and alcohol production resumed, something changed with the way, or ingredients used to make beer in America and it was never the same as before prohibition again.

If you pick up a six pack of a well known German brand in the package store or Class VI store, you too, may never want to drink American beer again either.

The flavor just doesn't compare.

Contrary to popular American belief, not all German Bier is Dunkle, strong, or any other fairy tales you may have heard about German Bier.

Most, if not all brewers in Germany produce a Helles or light-colored bier that looks like any other American beer in a glass. The taste is where the difference is. It actually has flavor. Not a lot of Americans I guess are used to having a flavorful beer and would rather drink watered down wort with carbonation that has to be drank ice cold to avoid the skunky taste of it as it warms.

Just the opposite occurs with German Bier (and most Czech and Belgian Bier too), the tast actually improves as it warms. It is rather bland when ice cold but the flavor explodes as it warms. Maybe drinking beer at 45°F to 55°F scares most American drinker away from a good German beer.

I haven't figured that out yet.
No, I’ll drink German beer. In fact I’ll look for those brands you mentioned in your other post.
But when you say ‘American Beer’ you mean national brands, right? Because the craft brewing industry in this country now is widespread and varied. I’m sure there’s brews made here now that equal German brands. I would rather spend my money locally, in general.
You may disagree. I’m certainly not a beer expert. I am a member of Beer Advocate but, too much information there. I remember the dad on the old TV show Frasier: “ Just gimme a beer...”

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Anybody drink Rolling Rock? Kind of a regional Pa. beer.

When I was working, and getting all over the country, always ran into somebody that talked about how they wished I'd have brought some Rock!

When I'm at the cottage in Ontario it's Labatts Blue or Canadian.
I remember some years ago when they sold case of 1/2 Canadian and 1/2 Coors Light. I was told that was when Canadian bought Coors:dunno: Anybody know about that?

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,310 Posts
I was waiting to see if anyone mentioned Rolling Rock. :D:thumbsup:

·
Registered
11 Posts
As a younger man I would drink any beer that did not drink me first. But now age has slowed me down to drinking water... luckily my wife still drinks beer. We live in the great state of Michigan where there is a ten cent deposit on bottles. The deal is, my wife can buy and drink any beer she likes in any quantity she desires. She prefers Miller Lite. I get to take the returnable bottles back to the store and keep the money from the bottles to finance my layout. I refer to this arrangement as the circle of life. :smilie_daumenpos:

·
Registered
427 Posts
Budweiser. I'll try anything but Bud is my default position. When I'm on the beach or a pontoon, my "session beer" is either Natural Light or Busch Light.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts