Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to pour the Magic Water in this pond, and was wondering if you guys would do anything different first. I'm not so sure on the color. I had an Ocean Green, but it seemed to light. I mixed all kinds of other colors in to get what's on there now. Thought about adding some black in the middle, but I think it may be too much of a transition that it wouldn't look natural. The dock and boats will be pressed into the water once it's almost dry.

·
Banned
1,784 Posts
I've looked at a lot of streams and lakes in my life, and not one was blueish - they're either basically dark (blackish) or sometimes greenish. The only thing blue like you have would be a clean swimming pool. :dunno:

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,480 Posts
I've looked at a lot of streams and lakes in my life, and not one was blueish - they're either basically dark (blackish) or sometimes greenish. The only thing blue like you have would be a clean swimming pool. :dunno:
Have you been anywhere?
Blue water rivers and lakes are everywhere.

1193883-sailboat-sailing-on-early-morning-blue-water-river.jpg

blue-water-lake-tahoe-300x189.jpg

deep-blue-water-in-river--thumb621949.jpg

Maybe time for an eye test?:laugh:

·
Banned
1,784 Posts
Have you been anywhere?
Blue water rivers and lakes are everywhere.
That's not the water you are looking at - it's the sky reflected into your eye. The sky is blue not the water. I can show you an expert modeler video if you want me to find it that says to paint the river or lake bottom BLACK. If you go to a lake and look into the water by the shore it will be black or greensih. You are confusing pretty photography with what the water really looks like looking into it. :eek:hwell:

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,480 Posts
That's not the water you are looking at - it's the sky reflected into your eye. The sky is blue not the water. I can show you an expert modeler video if you want me to find it that says to paint the river or lake bottom BLACK. If you go to a lake and look into the water by the shore it will be black or greensih. You are confusing pretty photography with what the water really looks like looking into it. :eek:hwell:

It is a common misconceptionhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Citation_needed that in large bodies, such as the ocean , the water's color blue is due to the reflections from the sky on its surface.
The opportunity to visibly observe the blue color of water from land or airplanes is provided by the optical scattering of unabsorbed light from water molecules, from white sandy ocean bottoms, as well as from suspended particles in the water. The back-scattering from water molecules alone is very small and only observable in highly purified water.

Some constituents of sea water can influence the shade of blue of the ocean. This is why it can look greener or bluer in different areas.

Water in swimming pools (which may also contain various chemicals) with white-painted sides and bottom will appear as a turquoise blue.

An indoor swimming pool appears blue from above, as light reflecting from the bottom of the pool travels through enough water that its red component is absorbed. The same water in a smaller bucket looks only slightly bluehttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_of_water#cite_note-1

Clean water appears blue in white-tiled swimming pools as well as in indoor pools where there is no blue sky to be reflected. The deeper the pool, the bluer the water.

The blue from the sky only makes the water a deeper blue.

There is blue water.:cool:

·
Banned
1,784 Posts
The lake that I boat on is kind of a murky green, but lakes on teh West Coast are bluish, like Ed says.

If the bottom was black, then the whole thing would look black.
Yea Ed I've been fishing on a LOT of lakes and streams ... none were blue. ZERO.

jonyb, I've never looked into a lake or stream that was blue or even remotely blueish - never. Those photos are simply reflections of blue sky into the camera lens. It's your model so do as you wish, but what you are modelling there is a swimming pool not a lake. Lakes are dirty and dark, not blue like that. If you want to model it right then go outside this forum and see what color other modellers say to paint a realistic lake bottom. It won't be blue.

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,480 Posts
The lake that I boat on is kind of a murky green, but lakes on teh West Coast are bluish, like Ed says.

If the bottom was black, then the whole thing would look black.

The Atlantic ocean is blue too even on a cloudy day.
The further south you go the more it turns to a blueish/green.

When adding black to your model lake, it gives your lake depth.
The black is like a deep hole.

But to say there is no such thing as blue water, that is not true.
A lot of lakes and rivers water color has a lot to do with the minerals that are present too.
There is blue water.:cool:

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,480 Posts
Here, this is what you should be shooting for. It's greensih/blackish, not blue. That's more reality than pretty pictures of blue sky reflected into a camera.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kanas_Lake

Lake Kanas is China's deepest freshwater lake.
Wow.....you been fishing there?:thumbsup:
It looks greenish/blue to me.;)

·
Banned
1,784 Posts
Lake Kanas is China's deepest freshwater lake.
Wow.....you been fishing there?:thumbsup:
It looks greenish/blue to me.;)
No I haven't been there, but it makes my point. as does the video I posted of an expert modeller doing a riverbed - it's Black Ed - not any shade of blue. What the OP is trying to model is a lake not the ocean or a city swimming pool chock full of chlorine, and lakes are not blue like he has looking into them no matter how many pretty camera pics you can find of sky being reflected into a camera. Lakes are mostly dirty and dark. Now admit that the pics you posted are not of the water color but of the sky being reflected into a camera....

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,480 Posts
No I haven't been there, but it makes my point. as does the video I posted of an expert modeller doing a riverbed - it's Black Ed - not any shade of blue. What the OP is trying to model is a lake not the ocean or a city swimming pool chock full of chlorine, and lakes are not blue like he has looking into them no matter how many pretty camera pics you can find of sky being reflected into a camera. Lakes are mostly dirty and dark. Now admit that the pics you posted are not of the water color but of the sky being reflected into a camera....
Did you read post #6 here explaining the color?

OK, there is no such thing as blue water anywhere in our universe.
We are only called the blue planet because of the sky, not the water.:rolleyes:

Your right all water is black.:cool:

Happy now?:D

·
Banned
1,784 Posts
Did you read post #6 here explaining the color?
Yes, but it is irrelevant to the problem at hand.

OK, there is no such thing as blue water anywhere in our universe.
We are only called the blue planet because of the sky, not the water.:rolleyes:

Your right all water is black.

Happy now?:D
He's not modelling water anyplace in the Universe Ed, he's modelling a small lake, and a small lake will be dirty and blackish or greenish. Did you watch the video of the expert modeller modelling water? It ain't blue ...

Hey the guy wanted an opinion, he's now got 2. If he wants to use that color blue then so be it, but it isn't a realistic color for a lake, IMHO. If he doesn't believe me then he needs to look for more opinions, but I'm confident I'm right if he wants to model a realistic lake. I could go with a very, very dark blue but the color he has chosen is way too much like a swimming pool.

·
Registered
5,518 Posts
Jonyb,
I think you have to sometimes lighten colors when doing "real water" it does seams to change the color to some degree!:cool:
The layout of everything looks perfect and if the color doesen't look quite right are YOU going to be that upset with it?:D
If you go too dark with the base color you will loose all the details that you put in the water!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Magic Water is great stuff, I really like it. One thing that I can't stress enough is to make absolutely sure that the area is sealed. If it leaks its a huge mess. Don't ask.

I used oil colors and painted the center areas very dark blue to give the illusion of depth. Along the shore line I painted yellowish colors. I pulled the colors together so that it went from dark blue to green to yellow. It's hard to tell from the pictures but it looks really good. After the Magic Water dried it looked like you could stick your hand in it and pull it out wet.

Pictures here are at the bottom of the page and on the top of the next page:
http://public.fotki.com/daveinthehat/davetown/tugboats-along-the-/

Here's a link to my journal for the whole build if you're interested: http://journals.fotki.com/DaveInTheHat/tugboat-diorama/

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the input guys, that's why I posted here.... Since this is my first, I'm open to any and all suggestions, and critiques pointing out what I could do better.

Sean, I'd just like it to look good the first time and not have to go back. The ballast is being a PITA, but that's just because I'm trying to do it quick. There are also lessons learned on all of this that I can apply for the rest of the layout.

I'll go back over the blue with black, then shade from the outside in a couple inches in dark brown. I'll tint the resin with dark green to mix it a little bit. How's that sound?

Again, thanks for the tips.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Magic Water is great stuff, I really like it. One thing that I can't stress enough is to make absolutely sure that the area is sealed. If it leaks its a huge mess. Don't ask.

Pictures here are at the bottom of the page and on the top of the next page:
http://public.fotki.com/daveinthehat/davetown/tugboats-along-the-/

Here's a link to my journal for the whole build if you're interested: http://journals.fotki.com/DaveInTheHat/tugboat-diorama/
Dave, that looks really good. What did you do to make the ripples and whitecaps?

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,480 Posts
Thanks for the input guys, that's why I posted here.... Since this is my first, I'm open to any and all suggestions, and critiques pointing out what I could do better.

Sean, I'd just like it to look good the first time and not have to go back. The ballast is being a PITA, but that's just because I'm trying to do it quick. There are also lessons learned on all of this that I can apply for the rest of the layout.

I'll go back over the blue with black, then shade from the outside in a couple inches in dark brown. I'll tint the resin with dark green to mix it a little bit. How's that sound?

Again, thanks for the tips.

Black sounds like the choice of color "expert" modelers use.
Black will make it look more like a tar pit, just make sure to add some dinosaurs instead of people.:D

This newbie modeler must have been out of his mind, look what he did in blue!:eek:

fal171815.jpg

Black would have looked much more realistic.:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts