Model Train Forum banner

81 - 100 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
DCC recommendation

So I think I finally got my track all sorted out! I know I took off the A-B-A f unit crew, and just have 1 pulling. However I am running 2 trains on the main line.
I have never been able to do that with my dc layout.
I can turn it on & just sit back !!
Both of these units run at almost the same speed! I’m pretty sure my next big update will be dcc on the tracks. Most of my locos are dcc all ready I dust don’t have it on the layout.

https://youtu.be/m5anccG4zNw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IronManStark;

When you are ready for DCC, I highly recommend the NCE Powercab system. The whole system is in one small hand-held unit. It's easy to hook up, (two wires from it to the track) easy to program, easy to use, and full featured. It can also be easily expanded if that is ever necessary. The unit sells for about $250, but discounts are available. I use the NCE Powercab on my own layout, and like it very much.

If your locos are actually "DCC ready" that means they don't yet have decoders in them. Usually "DCC ready" locos have a plug in them which makes installing a decoder a simple matter of plugging it in. Many current locos are sold with "DCC onboard." If that's the case with your locomotives, then you won't need to buy, or install, decoders at all. The decoders are already factory-installed inside the locomotives. My latest purchase was a pair of Kato FP-7s with "DCC onboard." Two powered Kato units with decoders already installed in each unit for $134,oo! I think that's a fantastic deal from www. modeltrainstuff.com

keep having fun!

Traction Fan :smilie_daumenpos:

·
Registered
286 Posts
A very unique layout in several respects. Snow scape is
a rarity- I felt cold just looking at it! You have resisted the
common trend to fill every open space with structures giving us a view of the open, wintry landscape. The building lighting is nice, and I appreciate the use of the Trutrack. It’s nice to get stuff up and moving. I enjoyed the videos.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
A very unique layout in several respects. Snow scape is

a rarity- I felt cold just looking at it! You have resisted the

common trend to fill every open space with structures giving us a view of the open, wintry landscape. The building lighting is nice, and I appreciate the use of the Trutrack. It’s nice to get stuff up and moving. I enjoyed the videos.

Thank you. We are having fun with our layout. I have gotten a bit busy with maple syrup season, so we have not had much of a chance to wire in the last two switches, or to add our roads.
We do watch the trains run when we get in most nights though!! Lol
Again I am glad you enjoyed the video.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #91

So I have been playing around with some flex paste & trying my hand at putting snow on the roofs! Going for a day after snow fall look.
What do you all think?

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
Thank you! That is what I am going for! A cold December-January day after a light snow fall! Cold, brisk , and refreshing! lol at least here in my ohio”ish” layout!! Lol

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
Thank you!! I am still learning a lot with this layout! You guys have been great with your knowledge!! I am think about doing a little bit of the roofs on my heavyweight pullmans...?i just don’t know if I should. That , or if I do how I should do it??.. I have been looking for pictures of them in winter, but can’t find a lot of them with details on the roof..

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Must be uncomfortable bundling up to run your layout in all that snow:p Looked all too real to me, but then I'm from FL and snow is only a vague memory of when we lived in MN.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
What they said. I like it.

Unless not moving I wouldn't think rolling stock would have snow on it. But... https://www.canadasouthern.com/caso/images/nyc-6.jpg
See that is what I’m just not sure of. Around here in the winter we see a little snow on the cars, but that is because they are just rolling out of the yard.
My layout is a story of a mid winters day up in the northern areas. It starts off with the train coming out of my tunnel climbing a 2 1/2 % grade then leveling off into a curve that takes it to a small industrial area with a station , some factories, and the rail yard to repair , or switch out cars for the factories.
It then loops around & starts climbing a 2% grade into my mountain village area.
Pine trees every where , cabins , lodges , and a siding with a station for supplies. Loops around there & heads back down to the factories. Then back down to the tunnel to head south.....
at least that’s what I pictured in my head!! Lol
So I don’t know if the rolling stock would have snow on them.
I guess at this time I will just look at putting on winter salt/ grime on them.

81 - 100 of 105 Posts