Model Train Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,614 Posts
Yeah. I think we called it an attic or a basement before PC took over.

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Think about how much more you could do in HO with that kind of real estate.
Yes, sir. Bigger empire and less money on track and equipment. "Meemaw" doesn't want the boys upstairs until they'd be old enough to appreciate/handle an HO layout anyway. They're fenced off, so I see the Lionel staying downstairs and only coming out at Christmas and occasionally when they visit for a week or more.

What is a 'bonus room' anyway? Is that something they add on to the house after you close? Or does a builder come out and build an addition on to the existing structure?

I didn't get any sort of a bonus room with my eight room home. Should I call my realtor back and ask for my bonus room?
I consider a bonus room as "ready-to-finish" space in the home. In my case, the second floor has what is now a walk-in attic. Luckily we got the original floor plans (built in 1997) and the architect drew in future bedroom and living space in this area and the builder put in the floor deck. I just have to drywall it and air-condition it.

Everything inside the blue is unfinished, but floored space. Architect called it a "future" bonus room because there is no drywall and none of the interior walls drawn inside of the blue are actually there. But this space was a major factor in our decision to purchase it -- I just wish I'd finished it out right after we bought it (2020) when lumber prices were cheap here. Definitely room for Pa & Ma Railroad (Paris and Mt. Pleasant (TX) RR).

·
Premium Member
10,342 Posts
Yeah. I think we called it an attic or a basement before PC took over.
I doubt very much that the term bonus room has to do with anything being “PC”, as “attic” and basement” are not in any way political.....

·
Registered
4,614 Posts
No, just another made up word for something that already had a name.

"Attic and basement just sound so 'cold'. Let's make up a name to make it sound friendly"

Snowflakes at work.

·
Premium Member
2,348 Posts
No, just another made up word for something that already had a name.

"Attic and basement just sound so 'cold'. Let's make up a name to make it sound friendly"

Snowflakes at work.
Not really, when I bought my first house in So Cal. back in the late 60s
It had a Bonus room that was neither an Attic nor a Basement.
It was a ground level room just off the Kitchen, was finished and you could use
it for anything you wanted. It did have the heater/AC, hot water heater and washer& dryer.
The room was about 11X13 so plenty of room for Bonus room stuff.
I guess you could call it a Utility room but the utilities only took about 20%
of the room so Bonus room fits much better.

Magic

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
My 4th house had the 2-car garage and basement at ground level (lay of the land) while the first floor was a level up. Over the garage, the bonus room measured 20' x 20'; 400 sq ft.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
I always thought a "bonus" room was a great idea. Something you could finish to your liking and say "I did that". I converted a small porch on my first house to a TV Room because there wasn't enough the main house to accommodate our desires.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts