Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are many reasons why we live where we live. Part of the decision may be what is near our residences. If you would consider participating in this thread, please do so. Here's the question. What is the best vacation spot within a 100 miles from your home. (National Parks, State Parks, Wildlife Preserves, Museums, Cities, Landscape, Oceans, Mountains, etc.) and why? Please note your town/city and state for reference. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,420 Posts
I live in Gillette in northeast Wyoming. We are situated midway between the Black Hills and the Bighorn Mountains, both roughly 80 miles away. Devils Tower Nat'l Monument is 65 miles away. Keyhole State Park and Reservoir are 45 miles east.

The Black Hills roll on for another hundred miles and have many attractions including Mt. Rushmore Nat'l Monument. The Big Horns feature camping, hiking, the Cloud Peak Wilderness area, fishing, hunting, lakes, creeks and just plain old sightseeing. Devils Tower is the solid core of a volcano with the cone eroded away, standing 867 feet from base to top. Keyhole Park features boating, fishing and camping. To me all of these wonders are God-given treasurers. I can relax when I'm visiting them.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
I live about 60 miles from Branson Mo. That one should be self explanatory. We have a small lakefront place on Table Rock Lake with our own boat slip.

However in the last 5 years we have taken 3 cruises. 2 to Hawaii and 1 to Alaska.

When we lived in California we had a small cabin up on the June Lake Loop. Loved Trout fishing and hiking to the upper elevation lakes.
Robert

·
play every day
4,950 Posts
We live where people go to vacation right on the edge of 10,000+ acres of open park land where we can walk out our front door and hike all the way to the Ocean. :)

Greg

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
I've never been one much for vacations. Home is where the heart is. But, for a day trip, here in SW PA, Falling Water is a great place to visit for a pure afternoon of serenity. A different time, a different place, and a lifestyle to envy.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
The State of Michigan has many natural wonders as well as
man-made.
One that comes to mind is Greenfield Village and the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn. Another is Michigan's "Little Bavaria", Frankenmuth. Famous for their chicken dinners and the world's largest Christmas store, Bronner's.
Great fishing, camping, golfing, and of course boating, are plentiful anyplace in Michigan. Although I'm not a winter enthusiast, there's also great skiing and snowmobiling.
Bob

·
Registered
314 Posts
I dont do vacations but living on long island i can go east to the end and be at Montauk point.
Head west and end up in New York City.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
I am about 60-100 miles from the Finger lakes region of New York. In addition to the scenery, boating and fishing its home to scores of wineries, micro breweries, and now distilleries. Also places like Watkins Glen, Corning Glass works and aviation pioneer Glenn Curtiss's museum.

Pete

·
Registered
847 Posts
I am in Southern N.J.
I also do not vacation away from home but I am only 45 minutes from the Jersey Shore and my Sister lives right on the boardwalk in Ocean City N.J. (town right next to Atlantic City) and I am only 20 minutes from the Philadelphia Stadium Complex (Phils, Eagles, Flyers, Sixers) and about 30 minutes from Center City Phila. where all of the Historical Sites are located.

·
Registered
8,746 Posts
We live in central North Carolina, which is a great place to live but maybe not very special to visit.

Strictly speaking within 100 miles, as the crow flies anyway, you can:
a) reach the Atlantic coast - Emerlad Isle, etc. There are acquariums and sea-themed parks and such
b) Pinehurst and some of the best golf courses in the nation if you are into golf.
c) many wonderful places in the blue ridge mountains including blowing rock, etc.
d) almost get to the mouth of Chesapeake Bay - certainly to Norfolk, Colonial Williamsburg, etc.
We're actually pleased by all the stuff within 200 miles, say a five hour drive - if you get in a car to get somewhere, five hours isn't much more than driving just 100 miles. This includes gobs of coast, Washington DC, and a ton of the type of places we like to vacation at: great big resorts with five stars and several good restaurants, Like Omni's Homestead in the blue ridge and several big places like that on the coast. And Highpoint - "the furniture capital of the United States" is more fun to visit than you might think, with a furniture store mall (46 right there) and stores and tours at Thomas, Henredon and all the factories -- just bring money.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't know about you guys, but so far I have really enjoyed the submissions. Sometimes folks need to take a pause and appreciate their very own local environs. I hope this thread gets some more responses. A person could plan a pretty good road trip using the information noted.

G

·
0 Posts
I am about 60-100 miles from the Finger lakes region of New York. In addition to the scenery, boating and fishing its home to scores of wineries, micro breweries, and now distilleries. Also places like Watkins Glen, Corning Glass works and aviation pioneer Glenn Curtiss's museum.

Pete
Pete:

You definitely live in one of the most beautiful parts of the planet. I did the NKP 765 trip from Buffalo to Corning last August with my son, we had a blast. One of the nicest train rides I've taken, largely due to the beautiful scenery. The view from the front seat of the dome car helped. :)

Regards,
GNNPNUT

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
BC, before children, my wife and I would hop in my '55 Pontiac Star Chief convertible and we'd take off with no plans or destination in mind. We'd use vacation days and do 3-4 day weekends. I remember we went through the finger lakes region in early fall one year with the top down. Beautiful country.
One rule we had was no interstates or freeways. Just toddle along on secondary roads. Sometimes at the breakneck speeds upwards of 40 mph!!

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Jerry, I was hoping you guys would enjoy the ride. I ride the roads that parallel those tracks at least a few times a year on my motorcycle. I had to miss that train ride as my wife and I were on a trip to the west coast where we spent a few days around Fire21's country in Wyoming and Montana including a night in Gillette, the Big Horns, Chief Joseph, and Beartooth Pass.
Spectacular country.

Pete

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
We live in southwestern Montana, about 45 miles north of Yellowstone Park. Between us and the park is nothing but National Forests. In the winter the area is alive with snowmobiling and we have a ski area 30 miles north of us and another 30 miles south of us.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I am impressed with the Finger Lakes region of our country. Might need to schedule a swing though that region. I traveled through the Black Hills all too quickly a few years. I am thinking of heading back up there in a year or two. I want to visit Utah and Colorado to check out some of the National Parks. Any other ideas.

·
Registered
4,420 Posts
Scaledown, we spent a week in Utah a year and a half ago (October 2014). Started in Salt Lake City, went to Promontory to see the Golden Spike Nat'l Monument, then went south, east, and back north a ways. Saw Bryce Canyon, Zion, Cedar Breaks, Grand Staircase/Escalante, Capitol Reef, Arches, Canyonlands, and got down to Grand Canyon North Rim also. It was a FANTASTIC trip with our camper trailer. The fall colors were incredible along with all the rock formations.

If you ever get to western Wyoming, Yellowstone and Grand Teton Nat'l Parks are worth the trip. Western Montana is awesome, and so is Craters of the Moon in Idaho.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts