Model Train Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
MTH O gauge engines,mongrel rolling stock
278 Posts
Hello SF gal
Being a retired electronics engineer you would think I would just design something, but after 35 years of designing and program, no thank you. But then I wanted features like advanced approach, bi-directiona detection, ease of install, AND no hassles, fiddling or programming..
So I found Azatrax IR model railroad train detectors, infrared proximity sensors met my requirements. Yes somewhat pricey but it worked right out the box. I created a drill jig so photocell and IR LED would optimally shine on bottom of cars. Room LED lamps do not bother sensors and system works from full light to darkness. System pro-typically starts when train is several feet from crossing, remains on until last car clears crossing and after a second or two delay, extinguishes flashers and raises gates. Been on line for 5 years with no hiccups.
Here is the gates and flashers for my train approaching crossing..
Here is a view of circuit board showing from right to left, the advance approach, island crossing, and then receeding approach. I kludged a sound set from and MTH flasher set that I am using elsewhere to give this crossing the ding din ding....
Have questions ask away.

·
Premium Member
MTH O gauge engines,mongrel rolling stock
278 Posts
I am also thinking about making crossing gate and using inexpensive servos to raise and lower the gates...what are you using to control the position of your road gates?
I am using a Tortise motor through a linkage system Video here not best view. Got gates and motor plus the linkage set from Aztrax also

Have to have patience to get it running right but then its forget about it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts