Model Train Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts

I'm going to be getting something similar to that but mine Is a lil more complicated which I'll probably start a thread soon about.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I am seeing some really costly options for automated RXR crossings...it really shouldn't be that expensive to get something that contributes so little to the running of trains on a layout. Talking with my local train store guys, I get the inside scoop of the industry that comprises our hobby and it isn't pretty. So many buyout, discontinues, monopolies, supply chain issues, parts issues and well, here we are...$40+ to have ONE piece mealed, road crossing automated signal on a layout...unbelieveable.
This thread has me comparitive shopping and seeing "the least piecemeal route" to accomplish this inexpensively.

I did believe shortwrench has come up with the best option for a cost effective solution, now, not so sure as it is more piecemeal than Conductor Kev's suggestion.
The issue of ambient light hasn't been addressed using either members solution however....
So with the LED signal poles (I already bought) $16 each X2. 2 OSOYOO module sensor boards $2, resistor and caps $4 =$38.
Very close to the price Conductor Kev is willing to pay ($36+$3s&h) for crossing signals complete set, ready to install.

Adding a $2 servo motor to control scratchbuilt crossing gates is an option.

I am loving all the ideas, so keep the comments and suggestions coming.

Mine is actually going to be much more. Still gotta figure out exactly what I need to accomplish what I want since it's not just 1 crossing for this section of my layout.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts