Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anybody that makes black wheel sets? My preference would be metal but plastic would do since I'm not looking to pick up electricity. If I can get black trucks to go with them that would be a bonus.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Black wheelsets

Is there anybody that makes black wheel sets? My preference would be metal but plastic would do since I'm not looking to pick up electricity. If I can get black trucks to go with them that would be a bonus.
Chaostrain;

Micro-trains makes both plastic, and metal, black wheelsets in N-scale. I believe Kadee makes them in HO-scale too.

Traction Fan :smilie_daumenpos:

·
Registered
500 Posts
Why do you want all "black" wheels? Before roller bearing trucks, on the real RRs, they were usually a grungy greasy color on both sides of the wheels. On roller bearing trucks the wheel faces are rusty colored because of no grease. But in both cases the wheel treads are shiny from continuously running on the rails.

·
Registered
9,401 Posts
Why do you want all "black" wheels? Before roller bearing trucks, on the real RRs, they were usually a grungy greasy color on both sides of the wheels. On roller bearing trucks the wheel faces are rusty colored because of no grease. But in both cases the wheel treads are shiny from continuously running on the rails.
His layout, his rules. Just because it's not prototypical doesn't make it wrong.

For the OP, there are also chemical blackeners you can buy for use on metal wheels.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes it's
his layout, but does he even know what real RR wheels look like?
Lol.

Actually after spending much time working in rail yards and much time rail fanning I know quite well what real RR wheels look like. You ever watch a crew change out wheels? In person? It's pretty cool how quickly and easily it's done.

The reason I want all black wheels is I'm putting together a long black train. It's a fantasy train. It's going to be pure black from end to end. It's the devil's train inspired by the song Long Black Train by Josh Turner.

In fact our whole layout is fantasy. He he

For you folks giving me your tips thank you very much. Chemically blackening the wheels. I didn't even think about that. I wonder if I can do that for bright green?!

·
Registered
450 Posts
Why not just pop the wheels out of the trucks and spray paint (or brush) them flat or glossy black ? You could even put a cardboard wall behind several cars and spray all the wheels sides while train is moving slowly. Then turn em' around /repeat same. No ?..:dunno: M

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Why not just pop the wheels out of the trucks and spray paint (or brush) them flat or glossy black ? You could even put a cardboard wall behind several cars and spray all the wheels sides while train is moving slowly. Then turn em' around /repeat same. No ?..:dunno: M
I was originally thinking of doing just that, painting them. The problem I realized is that since I also want the wheel edges black. If I dodn't get the paint on perfectly it will cause the cars to rock, jump, and/or derail. I'm not that good of a painter.

·
Registered
9,401 Posts
I was originally thinking of doing just that, painting them. The problem I realized is that since I also want the wheel edges black. If I dodn't get the paint on perfectly it will cause the cars to rock, jump, and/or derail. I'm not that good of a painter.
Good hobby paints are thin enough to be self-leveling. It would be very hard to add so much paint that you derail the car's.

The problem is that painted treads won't pick up power, and more importantly, may increase the thickness of the flange just enough that your wheels will bind in the gauge instead of rolling. In any case, that paint will wear off pretty quickly, so you'll constantly be touching it up. My recommendation would be to leave the treads and flanges as bare metal.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good hobby paints are thin enough to be self-leveling. It would be very hard to add so much paint that you derail the car's.

The problem is that painted treads won't pick up power, and more importantly, may increase the thickness of the flange just enough that your wheels will bind in the gauge instead of rolling. In any case, that paint will wear off pretty quickly, so you'll constantly be touching it up. My recommendation would be to leave the treads and flanges as bare metal.
The paint wearing off was another concern I had with painting. That's why I'm looking for black wheels. I'm not worried about electrical pickup because none of the cars will have lights.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I really think you're overly concerned about something that is so easy, will look good, and certainly not cause derailments. What do you mean by "edges" ?.. I believe you mean 'flanges'.. So you want an all black train.. Eventually, if not black plastic wheels, the paint is going to get warn away on the tires and their flanges and become shiny nickle silver again, anyway. Your engine certainly can not have paint on it's tires and flanges, to boot, or it won't run ! So ignore all that, paint what you can, and fuggeddaboudit !!!

·
Registered
7,655 Posts
Chaostrain, a small padded envelope has been sent out to you as of today, containing about 50 sets of black plastic wheels sets.....

Just let me know when you receive it, thanks!

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Another approach

The paint wearing off was another concern I had with painting. That's why I'm looking for black wheels. I'm not worried about electrical pickup because none of the cars will have lights.
Chaostrain;

There are chemical blackeners on the hobby market that will color your wheels, stay on longer than paint, and are electrically conductive. Real wheels are not black. By law they can't be painted, so they start out the gray color of raw steel, and quickly pick up a coat of rust, and dark dust from brake shoes, plus any ballast dust, oil, or plain old dirt they encounter in their travels. The treads of wheels in frequent service are a bright shiny silver color from rolling contact with the rails. The wheel treads of a car that hasn't been moved for quite a while start to revert to rust color.

Micro Engineering's weathering solution will turn your clean metal wheels a dull brown color similar to the color of real wheels.

Have fun;

Traction Fan:smilie_daumenpos:

Wood no spill holder.JPG

·
Registered
7,655 Posts
All good info to know.....but the OP said he wanted all black wheels to build an all black fantasy train......and since it's his railway, I guess the wheels will be black......:)

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Chaostrain, a small padded envelope has been sent out to you as of today, containing about 50 sets of black plastic wheels sets.....

Just let me know when you receive it, thanks!
Thank you, Hobo! I'm looking forward to it. I'll definitely let you know when I receive it.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Modifying 6 axel diesel trucks center wheel.

Does this really work or does this destroy the 6 axel truck? There is a short film on U-tube of modifying a 6 axel truck with a smalldisk grinder.
I would think that would destroy the 6 axel truck?
Any comments much appreciated.
Regards,
tr1

1 - 20 of 33 Posts