Model Train Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
MY BLI AC6000 hasn't been run in 3 or 4 months. I went to run it yesterday after laying down some ballast and cleaning the track rails. When I apply power it moves about an inch, then stops. The sound is still there, and the lights cycle between the headlight and ditch lights. Do I just need to take it apart for a good cleaning?
My BLI 2-8-0 has been sitting for just as long, and that one has no problems running now.
Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
There's a number of possible woes that could cause your problem.
Often, though, after a loco sits for a spell the lube in it's drive gears
becomes gelled, sometimes enough to stall the loco. Try cleaning
that out and see if that will set the 'guy' to running.

Don

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you sir, I'll give it a try before disassembly.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
I don't think 3-4 months is going to gell your grease.
As you mentioned, you had done some ballast work. If your track isn't solder wired to a bus below the benchwork, odds are you have corrosion in the track joiners. Very little current is getting to the loco and what you described is typical of very low current to that type loco. The BLI AC6000 draws quite a bit of current due to the sound unit as well as the smoke unit. Try turning the smoke off and you may get a little better performance. Bottom line though, provide drops for each piece of rail to the bus.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've got good resistance/voltage readings where I was working on the track. I also have dropdown leads every couple feet. I tried another BLI AC6000 engine sill in the box, it ran with zero problems.
With the my engine sitting upside down in a cradle, I took off the front wheels and hooked up a set of jumpers to the pickup bars. Back wheels and gears in front started to turn, then stopped. turned off power, turned back on when wheels started to turn I helped them along past the stall. It ran like that for about 10 minutes then froze up. I'm wondering if there's some corrosion or dirt in he motor. I'll find out after I find my small screwdriver...

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
It sounds like a bad/intermittent connection, possibly wipers, a bad solder, thermal cycling in a component. I would call and leave a message asking for a call back from BLI's repair tech. If he can't talk you through some diagnostics successfully, they should give you a return number and you'll have to send it in. Good news is that it'll come back repaired and fully functional if my history over 14 years with BLI is anything to go by. I haven't sent them anything in 9 years, but have purchased three steamers since then. What I have sent it has all been corrected, so good rating from me.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looking through the FAN'S on the BLI site, I may try hitting the reset button. Might be a glitch in the software.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Often that's the simplest and fastest route to recovering full control of a decoder. I hate to think how many times I have done that, but it is often needed after a short or after a long peiord of storage...although I must say I have not been plagued by the latter as so many others report across the hobby fora. Truth is, I have had to reset two decoders in the past three months, one due to a track power glitch or momentary short, the other seemingly to the ravages of long-term storage.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts