Model Train Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hopper-palooza
H2a's for the 100-car coal drag.

A six-pack (two are shown). All done similarly.
I'm partial to the heap-shield style, so some Tangent L&N PS-3's are in the drag as well.
Mostly airbrushed.

BLI 002~2.jpg

BLI 004~2.jpg

·
Registered
226 Posts
What brand of paint and colors do you use? I like the light color of dirt you use.

Ed

·
Premium Member
4,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What brand of paint and colors do you use? I like the light color of dirt you use.
These cars were done with Vallejo Sand Gray... a military color for Israeli tanks (IDF).
I use that color (or a blend of it) on almost everything.

·
Premium Member
4,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The same color (or a blend of it) was also used on these:

image2 (1)~3.JPG

IMG_8689.jpg

IMG_8707.jpg

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Do you remove the trucks and weather them separately, or are they done in place on the car? I assume the wheels are removed before painting. Do you also add weathering to the bottom of the cars, or just focus on the sides where the weathering is visible?

·
Premium Member
4,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do you remove the trucks and weather them separately, or are they done in place on the car? I assume the wheels are removed before painting. Do you also add weathering to the bottom of the cars, or just focus on the sides where the weathering is visible?
I always do truckframes & wheels separately.
I don't always want filthy trucks, so I'll occasionally just 'dust' them with a gray or brown color, and drybrush for 'rust'.
Wheelsets are tricky... you can't allow any paint on treads or axle points, so DullCote sealing is essentially a no-no.

Underbodies are done (within reason) to match.

·
Premium Member
4,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Are the coal loads factory made or custom?
The coal loads are supplied with the cars.
The early BLI six-pack production run came with three different coal profiles... Two each of 3-heap, 2-heap, and center-heap.
The 2 & 3-heap are shown.
I believe later production models only come with two shapes.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
The coal loads are supplied with the cars.
The early BLI six-pack production run came with three different coal profiles... Two each of 3-heap, 2-heap, and center-heap.
The 2 & 3-heap are shown.
I believe later production models only come with two shapes.
They look pretty good for factory loads. I occasionally make some loads for a friend who has a hobby shop, and I use the fine Black Beauty, which in O scale is the size of Chestnut, and in HO, closely represents Egg.

·
Premium Member
4,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
They look pretty good for factory loads. I occasionally make some loads for a friend who has a hobby shop, and I use the fine Black Beauty, which in O scale is the size of Chestnut, and in HO, closely represents Egg.
Actually, I don't think the BLI loads are very realistic... nowhere near dark enough, and no sparkle.
Here's two models with resin JWD "E-Z FIT" loads. They look like the real thing. These two particular loads are 'coarse' (or egg).

20190117_112033_Burst01~3.jpg

20190117_111405~3.jpg

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Actually, I don't think the BLI loads are very realistic... nowhere near dark enough, and no sparkle.
Here's two models with resin JWD "E-Z FIT" loads. They look like the real thing. These two particular loads are 'coarse' (or egg).

View attachment 519840

View attachment 519842
From the photo they look pretty good, better then some of the O gauge plastic molded ones I've seen. This is an O gauge load I made for one of my 2 bay hoppers.

K Line 2 Bay Hopper 004.JPG

·
Registered
4,566 Posts
The grime on the cars sure does match your ballast. Very nice work!

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Maybe you could give those coal loads a light coat of gloss black. That would darken them up and add some sparkle at the same time.
A clear coat may work too. When I make my loads, I use a commercial water base urethane floor finish in a spray bottle. The Black Beauty has the sparkle of coal, and the finish holds the load together, and seals the finish. It could also be used as a coke load.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts