Model Train Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had any luck with BLI repairing their engines that were just slightly out of warranty? I've read great things about this repair service mainly on FB but I was curious if anyone's had success stories on here? My P3 GG1 is 3 months out of warranty and one of the gears is totally junk now and I'm hoping they'll hook me up!

·
Registered
Ohio Central Systems
1,356 Posts
I have no experience with slightly beyond warranty, but they did fix my brand new N gauge Heavy Mikado that was DOA. The service wasn't fast, but the product was returned to me completely fixed.

I have a feeling that their business model is "spotty QA from China, and a repair facility in Florida is still cheaper than good QA up front."

Hopefully, that same business model puts customer satisfaction above all else.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
I have only ever sent one locomotive to BLI for out-of-warranty repair. They had it back to me in six weeks, and that's to Canada, and it cost me my shipping to them plus USD$44. Runs like a top again. I have returned two locomotives over the 17 years I have been in the hobby, and both were returned within about five weeks fully restored. This was more than ten years ago for all instances I cite. I read that the turn around times are longer, but I don't think it is much more than about six to eight weeks.

·
Registered
26 Posts
My Paragon 3 locomotive they fixed free of charge, my Paragon 2s I had to pay the repair fee per engine but were worth it especially since it was a brass-hybrid Pennsy Q2 4-4-6-4.

·
Registered
Ohio Central Systems
1,356 Posts
As I mentioned, it appears to me that BLI's business model (whether intentional or not) is one of "We'll accept poor manufacturing QA from the cheapest source and establish a solid repair facility to handle things domestically."

I just wonder how long that strategy will bear fruit given today's "immediate gratification" younger generations.

·
Premium Member
13,362 Posts
Well, if they’re having them built at the cheapest source, I shudder to think what they would cost if they used a more expensive one….they are pricy to begin with, IMO….

1 - 10 of 10 Posts