Model Train Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a what appears to be a new in box blue box athearn GP50. I did a couple of test runs around the track and it seams to run slow. I also have a sd40-2 blue box used and it runs like a champ.

I know I have to put he railings and such on the loco but is there something else that needs to be done to the motor. Maybe oil or clean it?

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
It may need a light oiling. I bought a used Blue Box GP35 that I was told was sitting on a shelf of 5+ years. That needed to be oiled and run an hour prior to it really waking up. It is not as fast as my Spectrum but it has far better low speed control and a much greater pulling capacity.

·
Registered
5,256 Posts
After oiling just set it on the track and run it in both directions for at least a half hour each way...kinda helps it set its teeth.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I Took off the top and looked at it. it looked like it was good with oil. I have read on here that better little then to much so i did not want to add any to it.

I have been running it now for about 15 min and it has already made a difference.

I also need to still upgrade my transformer. still using the orig bachmann set transformer.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Never had the opportunity to check one of the locos out myself. From what I've read here they must have been the loco to have quite a few years ago. My only experience with Athearn locos was after they disappeared and the Genesis line came out.
From what I've seen they need some additonal detailing to bring them up to todays details standards; but then again this is a Modelers hobby ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts