Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everybody I thought I would start a layout thread because I am thinking about a few changes and I would like to get some input from the more experienced.

When I designed this layout I had two things in mind, I wanted to do a countryside theme with more landscaping and less buildings, I wanted a pretty big yard, and I wanted two tracks to run more than one train at the same time.

I guess my mood (lack of a better word) has changed somewhat and now I would like to incorporate more structures, mostly some light industries.

These first two pictures are of my layout as it is today.

I have looked at the layout and came up with this idea. I have merged both of my yards (I was using one for the CNW-CGW and the other for CN-GTW-DTI) into one. This achieves two things: it would free up some space "above" the yard for structure and increases the overall capacity for freight cars. The negative is that I don't have separate yards for separate road names, but I could just model it like a small switching/interchange yard. (I do understand it's just a bunch of single ended spurs and not shaped like most prototypical yards).

I have also moved the connections from the inner and outer track. This would free up some more space and it also just seems to make more sense to me. I am concerned about the S curve going from inner track to outer track though.

Please share your thoughts

I don't know if this should go in the design forum, I won't feel be if it's moved.

·
Registered
4,940 Posts
Can you just add to your current layout?

Off the lower right corner of the layout create a wye and have the stub go down into an industrial center. (maybe 2'x10') OR make the peninsula the yard. Make it so that the trains can pull in straight, uncouple, then run around the train on a drill track and feed it into the yard pushing from the back. Down at the tip of the peninsula give yourself a servicing facility for your engines.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't have a whole lot of room for expansion. We want to eventually finish the other side of the basement and I'm pretty sure I will have to sacrifice some of the extra space I am currently using for storage.

For your other suggestion, my brain is not functioning properly today, when you refer to the peninsula, what area are you referring to. Are you referring to the area on right hand side of the picture.

·
Registered
4,940 Posts
I don't have a whole lot of room for expansion. We want to eventually finish the other side of the basement and I'm pretty sure I will have to sacrifice some of the extra space I am currently using for storage.

For your other suggestion, my brain is not functioning properly today, when you refer to the peninsula, what area are you referring to. Are you referring to the area on right hand side of the picture.
No....the part I was talking of adding would be the peninsula. Basically would make your table L-shaped.

Instead of the mainline just going around the table, you'd put a tri-angular wye in the lower RH corner of your diagram. One leg goes left (mainline), 2nd leg curves right onto peninsula, 3rd leg of the wye running parallel with the 4' side of your current layout board. Trains could enter or exit the peninsula and even turn around via the wye.

Put the yard on the peninsula and change your current yard into several serviceable industries with plenty of room for spur tracks.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I really like your setup. It is along the same lines as I'm doing. But like sst said, I'm making it L-shaped so your more in the middle of the action. I would like to do U-shaped, but I don't have enough room.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I have ripped up some of the track and reworked the yard. On my test run it was much easier to move from the inside track to the outside track without any derailments. Also, I now have a much better idea where I want the roads in my layout to go.

I got tired of looking at the layout without any ballast down on the track so I've been busy the last couple days putting the ballast down and gluing it in place.

Now I just have to finish the yard!!

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
i like this better, it is definetly change in right direction.
with that i would still do couple changes to it - sacrifice 1 or 2 shortest tracks in your yard for either industry spur or engine maintenance facility. thoe tracks will not hold much anyway but thats up to you of cource

but would devinetly add a run around and create proper arrival departure track. will add greatly to operations and usfulness of your yard

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Courious how far benith the stair well can you go, If you can move your workbench to another place then you have just gained more operating space for yourself with this idea you can add a wye and more industries and allow you to run alot more trains. If this can be doen I see you have digitrax I would add a UP5 panel about 15.00$ well worth it and get yourself a UT4. now it's time to run some trains.
Hope this helps.
-Mike-

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Ok, I made some changes to the yard and then I got on this...I'm gonna make a road kick. I really had no idea what I was doing but I thought what the hell, I just went with it. I still have to finish the road and do some landscaping to finish it all off.

I can see that after looking at this picture I need to adjust my center line a little bit to be, well in the center, nothing a little paint can't take care of!!

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I haven't posted anything in a while, I think my kids are draining the life out of me right now! If the six week old is finally sleeping it seems like the 3 year old is wide awake! You could say my sleep pattern has changed a little :)

I did get in a little work though. I built some models recently and I put them on the layout and before I put them down a little more permanently I wanted to get an opinion on the placement of them. So let me know if everything looks half way OK or if you think I should move a couple of them to different places.
Thanks
B

Attachments

·
Registered
5,518 Posts
The changes you made to your yard looks like it worked out well.:thumbsup:
I'm surprised that you only have a single main. I get allot out of doubling it up or at least double it across the front. Or you could drop a spur off the front for industry, or off the right or left corner. :cool:
Just my 2 cent's worth please feel free to disregard. :D

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,024 Posts
Looking good.:thumbsup:

What is on your walls, wall paper?

Do you plan on adding backdrops or painting it?

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Looking good.:thumbsup:

What is on your walls, wall paper?

Do you plan on adding backdrops or painting it?
Sorry Big Ed I never responded to you, how rude

The backdrop right now is just basement cement, (poured walls). Maybe one day I will do some painting as a backdrop but that probably won't be for a while.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, I am in the midst of another little change to the layout. I got a little help with the changes over in the design forum. Now I have started in on it and I'm making a little progress. I think (hope) I'm goning to like how everything flows much better when operating the trains on the layout.

I had my first chance to work with flex track and I must say it wasn't to bad. I just zipped off the ends with a dremel, it was really pretty easy.

Got a few pics of the overall layout and the part I'm working on.

It took me a while to rip up the old track, so I only got a little bit laid down the first night.

Tonight was a little better. I'm trying to take my time and not rush things. I'm pretty impatient, but I don't want to screw things up either.

Just a few pics of the layout

Attachments

·
Registered
636 Posts
Looks pretty darn good to me.

I really like what you did with that lake flowing into a stream and out under the 2nd bridge toward the wall and into infinity, as well as the train running between the hills. Gives a feel of realism to the flow, IMO.

Gave me an idea for my layout as well - with a backdrop lined up to continue the stream into the distance from maybe a waterfall - ooh, ooh LOL.

·
Premium Member
16,666 Posts
Bman,

You have more guts that most of the rest of us ... to jump in and rip up sections of your old layout like that, with envisioned improvements in the works. Should be great in the long run, though.

... jJust as long as you don't change that ravine / river / pond that I love so much !!!

Cheers,

TJ

1 - 20 of 43 Posts