Model Train Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For hauling trailers or containers
Nicely detailed.

The 3-car sets consist of three units...
1.) The B (brake) end, with an end platform, coupler, and two trucks.
2.) The A end, with end platform, coupler, and single truck.
3.) The intermediate single-truck C unit.

Center beams are diecast metal, which yields stability without wobble.
Center-beam brake detail is superb. However, there are strangely no end hoses or MU connections.
End platforms are scale-looking mesh plate decking.

Kadee couplers... something that Bowser has started putting on their products that most people are unaware of.

The 5-car set has the same quality and features.

Earlier versions have interchangeable (separate) raised or lowered trailer hitches (shown here). Newer releases have convertible/collapsible ones.

There is a lack of instruction or directions pertaining to all the trailer mounting hardware. You're basically left on your own, but it's not that hard to figure out. It's pretty easy to tell where all the pieces go.

Mix 'n match:
Bowser offers the cars in 3 and 5-unit sets, (just as Trinity did) and in many unit set numbers.

These cars are not cheap. But neither are the other brands. If you can find them on LHS shelves, chances are they're priced lower than Athearn (which comes with McHenry couplers).

The hitches accept Athearn & Walthers trailers.

One caveat:
Mating with popular container brands may be an issue, but can be easily solved by shaving and drilling (or rubber cementing).
It's my understanding that future versions will accept Athearn/Walthers container bottom mounting config.

trinity_raf33_3-unit_spine_car_set_ready_to_run_6-41575_big~2.jpg
0_40616-3.jpg
Interchangeable raised or lowered trailer hitches~2.jpg

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I have 2 bachmann of these I bought on a whim as I had no idea what they were.

These look better .. I've been wondering about Bowser in general.

·
Registered
777 Posts
prolly never pulled by steam... So, what are they replaced by now?

Well heck, since TTX seems to currently field a large "standard intermodal fleet" of what seems to be exactly these cars, in addition to their double stacks, I guess I could be forgiven for thinking they are "modern", no?? Just asking...:D Anyway, they're pretty good appearing detailed models!

·
Premium Member
3,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sticker shock data is high for the MSRP, but LHS prices are much lower.
MSRP is $90 for the 3-unit set, and $150 for the 5-unit.
If you're lucky enough to find them on LHS shelves, they're generally in the $79/$120 range respectively.

·
Registered
777 Posts
That would seem intuitive, but looking at multiple photos including 1:1 it appears to NOT be so. Go figure. I am not familiar with the loading procedure.

From online video, the 5th wheel is engaged by sliding the trailer to the rear. Who'd 'a thunk it??

·
Premium Member
3,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Hmmmmm....
Isn't the proper orientation for the "5th wheel" connector the opposite of how you show it installed?
From all the indications, model vids/photos, and prototype side views I've seen, it would appear that trailers are racked to the rear to engage the 5th wheel.
Strange.

[Edit]:
But it's possibly because there's too little rearward room to rack a trailer forward after another trailer has been already racked in place.
Just a guess.

·
Premium Member
3,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bowser used to be one of my 'second choices' for locomotives and rolling stock. Then they bought out Stewart, and introduced their "Executive" line. Then they put LokSound in their locomotives. Then they started putting Kadees on everything.

All that, plus these units, have kindled a new interest in Bowser stuff for me.
They now rank IMO, up there with Athearn RTR, and Walthers Mainline.

·
Premium Member
3,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
BTW, the Athearn spine cars are also nicely detailed, with finescale brake rigging, and strangely like the Bowsers they don't have end air hoses.
But unlike Bowsers, they have crappy McHenry couplers.

·
Premium Member
3,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just to be clear, and so there's no misunderstanding...
Not all Bowser stuff is equipped with Kadee couplers.
Only a few select newer issues are.

·
Premium Member
3,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This Bowser hopper was not equipped with Kadees.

41308_af0a8d6b-d337-4d5f-ba40-09e5cf5913e7~3.jpg

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have a few of the Athearn Trinity 53' spine car but missed the Bowser set. Hope they'll rerun them. I made a few TTX Long Runners and I see Athearn came out with them again.

·
Premium Member
3,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Bowser rolling stock is perfectly acceptable to me now.
Until recently, I'd always regarded their rolling stock as not much better than Bachmann... although I've had a Bowser VO1000 diesel for a few years (which I like very much).
From now on, I won't hesitate to add them, especially since they're generally priced so low.
s-l400 (40).jpg
bow60147.jpg
s-l400 (39).jpg
s-l400 (38).jpg

1 - 16 of 16 Posts