Model Train Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw this for sale at a “local” hobby shop back In September, I had nowhere near that much $$$ then, so I’ve saved since then doing stuff to get extra money and they still had it today! Quite exited about this big guy! It’s a Kato USRA 2-8-2 Heavy Mikado

·
Registered
786 Posts
Looks like a nice deal !! I'm assuming it's N scale. Is it DC, DCC, DCC/Sound ? Looks like it's missing hand rails along the boiler and other hardware /bell/whistle..What did it cost ? M

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is N, its DC and the bells/whistles/rails etc are in the factory bag and I’ve yet to put them on, 125$

·
Registered
4,208 Posts
It is N, its DC and the bells/whistles/rails etc are in the factory bag and I’ve yet to put them on, 125$

Queen;

I have two of those Kato 2-8-2 Mikados. They are great engines! One of the only two US prototype steam locomotives Kato has ever offered in N-scale. The other is a 4-8-4 Northern, but it's way too expensive for me. The only bad thing I've run into with my Kato Mikados is their minimum curve radius. In theory, they can run on 11" radius curves. Unfortunately, I found they derailed a lot on my 12" radius curves. I did some real world testing and ended up tearing out the 12" curves and adopting a 16" minimum radius. This was the size curve that they stayed on reliably. Try yours and see. Maybe Kato has changed their design. My Mikados are decades old.

Good Luck & Have Fun;

Traction Fan 🙂

·
Registered
786 Posts
Oh !! Good deal, then, for sure !! I too have one from my 15 yrs of DC, analog N scale days, now happily back in HO/DCC/Sound last, oh, 12 yrs, say...It probably ran fine back then and has all the hardware + knuckle couplered..
I've no reason but memories, to keep it. Make me an offer if you wish owning 2 Mikados !
(I've other engines, too, of course; ConCor/Trix/Bmann, all analog, knuckle couplered...(I can't make a test track / no longer have / won't buy a DC power pack). Otherwise,
$125 seems a tad steep for an analog jobby in today's becoming/now majority digital environment.
On the other hand, it's the fulfillment it gives us which makes bickering over $30 seem moot and irrelevant !!
I hope you have her fully decorated and up and running, chugging and lugging like a champ, soon as you can !!!
Happy tidings in the new year,
🏭🛤🌄🌵 Mark

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,024 Posts
A nice addition to your RR. (y)
Now.......DON'T DROP IT ! :)

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A nice addition to your RR. (y)
Now.......DON'T DROP IT ! :)
Thanks! I’m fairly good with not dropping things, thankfully. The only poor model that took the fall was that poor old Burlington hopper in the background, I’m currently working on repairing that one!

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Queen;

I have two of those Kato 2-8-2 Mikados. They are great engines! One of the only two US prototype steam locomotives Kato has ever offered in N-scale. The other is a 4-8-4 Northern, but it's way too expensive for me. The only bad thing I've run into with my Kato Mikados is their minimum curve radius. In theory, they can run on 11" radius curves. Unfortunately, I found they derailed a lot on my 12" radius curves. I did some real world testing and ended up tearing out the 12" curves and adopting a 16" minimum radius. This was the size curve that they stayed on reliably. Try yours and see. Maybe Kato has changed their design. My Mikados are decades old.

Good Luck & Have Fun;

Traction Fan 🙂
I have yet to test it today, been busy with school and stuff. I also acquired 2 new diesels, I couldn’t resist, as cool as the old steamers are, you can’t beat a SD-40 in my opinion.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh !! Good deal, then, for sure !! I too have one form my 15 yrs of DC, analog N scale days, now happily back in HO/DCC/Sound last, oh, 12 yrs, say...It probably ran fine back then and has all the hardware + knuckle couplered..
I've no reason but memories, to keep it. Make me an offer if you wish owning 2 Mikados !
(I've other engines, too, of course; ConCor/Trix/Bmann, all analog, knuckle couplered...(I can't make a test track / no longer have / won't buy a DC power pack). Otherwise,
$125 seems a tad steep for an analog jobby in today's becoming/now majority digital environment.
On the other hand, it's the fulfillment it gives us which makes bickering over $30 seem moot and irrelevant !!
I hope you have her fully decorated and up and running, chugging and lugging like a champ, soon as you can !!!
Happy tidings in the new year,
🏭🛤🌄🌵 Mark
You have my curiosity, but I’m pretty broke as of now, I’ll start a conversation when I’ve... well... recuperated some funds

·
Registered
205 Posts
That’s the first run, it doesn’t have the boiler details installed. Be careful with installing those stanchions, they’re very small and disappear easily. Detail packs are no longer availble. That’s a super nice loco, I have 2, it’s not easy to put DCC into but it can be done and it and sound pretty good. You’ll be very happy with it

1 - 12 of 12 Posts