Model Train Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just started getting into the model train hobby, and my first purchase was a guys late fathers collection. 26 boxes full of HO scale Locomotives and rolling stock. What is a good resource for finding the values of some of this collection? Most everything I have is in the original boxes and unopened.

·
Premium Member
4,914 Posts
You might start by Googling each item. Something will usually pop up, likely on eBay, or even an online retailer.

·
Registered
8,949 Posts
Google or Ebay are good sources to get the value
of what you have. Use the make and model numbers
on the boxes.

Usually, older trains come with brass track. You
should recognize that by the rail color.
While usable, if you plan
to build a layout we would suggest buying nickle/silver
track. It offers better electrical conductivity and requires
less cleaning.

Older locos should have their gear boxes cleaned and
relubed with a plastic friendly product such as made
by Labelle's. They have both 'oil' type and grease type.
Often the old lube gels and impairs operation.

If you have any specific questions or need any help
with your trains you have a group of experienced
modellers here to solve any problems.

Don

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
Do you just want the value, or a model railroad?

I have just started getting into the model train hobby, and my first purchase was a guys late fathers collection. 26 boxes full of HO scale Locomotives and rolling stock. What is a good resource for finding the values of some of this collection? Most everything I have is in the original boxes and unopened.
PKehrlich;

If all you're interested in is how to determine the value of your train purchase, that's been answered. If you have checked on Ebay, you will have found out that used trains are not worth much. Were you to sell them you would likely get only pennies on the dollar.
On the other hand, if you plan to keep those trains and use them on a model railroad then the PDF files attached below may be helpful.

good luck, have fun;

Traction Fan :smilie_daumenpos:

View attachment WHERE DO I START rev 4.pdf

View attachment 1 How to build a better first layout.pdf

View attachment 2 How to build a better first layout.pdf

View attachment 3 & 4 How to build a better first layout.pdf

View attachment 5 How to build a better first layout.pdf

View attachment 6 How to build a better first layout.pdf

View attachment All AboutTurnouts rev 5.pdf

View attachment MODEL RAILROADING ON A BUDGET.pdf

View attachment Model Railroad Terminology 3.pdf

·
Registered
4,345 Posts
If you are now getting into the hobby and plan on building a railroad what difference does it make what they're worth?

They are only worth what someone is willing to pay.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry guys, I don’t want to give you the wrong idea here. I do want to build a rail road I just don’t want to use a antique collectible that may be worth a bit when I’m just starting out.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I can tell you that if you have brass engines or cars they can hold value rather well and some people really look for the brass equipment. Granted if something has brass wheels then that doesn’t necessarily mean it’s worth much. Just do your research and go from there. If it’s mainly old lifelike or tyco or ahm kind of thing it’s not worth a ton of money. If it’s an old tenshodo or something to that effect then it could be. Any model can be nice and rather detailed just depends on how much work you’re willing to do

1 - 8 of 8 Posts