Model Train Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am new to the hobby and am building a layout. What brand of track do you prefer and why? I am looking at Atlas and Micro Engineering, but dont know which is better or if there is another brand that would be better still. Need some guidance please!

Also, what brand of turnouts do you prefer and why?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
PECO Nickel-Silver Track, Code 100, seems to be pretty popular around my local hobby shops.

~$5 for a piece of 3ft flex track.

was speaking to my local guy today, and he reckoned the brass rail flex in his recent catalogue was cheaper than the N-S, @ ~$4 per 3ft section... but who knows if it was a typo/mistake.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
My LHS has both Peco and Atlas code 100 flex for the same price. They are predicting that based on the current trend in pricing they will remain the same or Atlas will increase. I used Atlas in cost prior to this but would prefer the Peco at the same cost or less.

As for turn outs the Peco are better hands down. They are more durable. The higher initial cost is saved in the long run through saved maintenance. I have had to repair and replace multiple Atlas switches, never replaced a Peco once installed. I also have used Walthers (shindowa ?sp makes them) switches. I rate those up there with the Pecos.

When my budget was tight and I wanted to get a section going but could not afford a good switch I installed used Atlas switches in areas that saw low speed minor traffic. Latter replaced them as cash was available. This strategy also allowed me to determine if I even liked the way the track was run without purchasing a bunch of the expensive parts. That said I did buy a bulk lot of old stuff that was later sold as a bulk lot of used stuff at a small loss. Looking back on it with the changes I found that were needed I saved as much as I lost because I did not have to re-purchase the better switches.

If possible stay away from snap switches. They are slightly tighter than 18r and cause allot of issues with large locomotives or moving at speed. I have used them in tight areas of a yard where speeds are very slow and switch engines are the primary motive source.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Down here in Singapore where it's British and continental oo scene, I use hornby code 100 tracks and turnouts from the one LHS. I run old rivarossi, tyco, lifelike and also newer bachmanns on these rails. I mix short sections of old tyco with new hornby.

I refrain from buying tracks online as I need the service of talking to a salesman/ technician when I have questions, I had a bad experience buying vintage Hornby turnouts online that derails my trains.

Kiong

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
For me the question of "what brand of track do you like/prefer?" is simple, I prefer what what works and usually I like code 100 so I know what ever locos I get will run on it as I run all sorts of old locos and new locos, and both mixed with US and Euro/UK locos. so I usually stick with the Bachmann track as that is what I have more of but I will use what ever I find if I need to!

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Shinohara was the term you were looking for tkruger.

I went with the bulk box of Atlas Code100 from trainworldlonline.com - Worked out to less than $1/ft.
I was freaking out, I thought I read $1 per piece!

Yeah, ~$300 for 100pc. thats pretty good. I might have to talk to my local guy and up my order. I've tentatively ordered a box (25pc)... hmmm..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts