Model Train Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think we would all agree that Brass locomotives are expensive. I have always wondered something when it comes to Brass locos. Why in the Haiti does Brass units not come with all the components such as major details being windshields? Lights? Running boards for the units road number?

These IMO are very important parts and pieces. I just do not get it. I am speaking primarily about Overland and Alco. No windshields, boards, couplers, lighting at all.... Why is this? :dunno:

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I think I have asked a question that literally no one knows the answer to. This is a rare thing. I have looked over the internet many times through the years for the answer with no luck.

I guess this will have to remain a mystery. :dunno:

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,404 Posts
Is this the thread that you said no one answered?
Might be because no one knows why? :confused:

You might be best to ask the manufacturers that produced them?:smokin:

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,404 Posts
imo, for what's it's worth, is simply because they are not brass, and are in fact, optional ..
Is that your final answer? :p

I never bought brass trains, are you saying that someone can get them if they order one with all the options?
You know like a car?

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,404 Posts
I only have the one old brass HO locomotive and tender.

So NSguy can buy them, 10/4.
I would think for the windows you can just buy a sheet of (?) something and make your own.

Do you have a favorite place that would sell these details parts?

Anyone else have a place for him to check out?

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
I recall a shop in NJ that sold only brass trains. Nothing was painted for the most part. I think if the buyer was going to have the item painted, the painter usually installed glazing and decals. Lighting was usually a thing the buyer installed.

I owned some HO brass in the past and honestly, the modern Chinese made plastic stuff is just as well detailed and runs a heck of a lot better than brass ever did...

·
Registered
289 Posts
I have a number of brass big steam engines and a couple of diesels and none of them cane with windows when I bought them. Granted they’re more than twice my age so if they came with them the parts are long gone. Brass locomotives can be tuned to run like a Swiss watch if you know what to do with them. I’m getting ready to detail the interior of my brass pioneer zephyr and it’s all going to have to be scratch built. If you don’t want to make these parts better go plastic

1 - 11 of 11 Posts