Model Train Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would I be wrong to think it's good to have at least one or two brass engines to keep as show pieces. Do people who have them that don't run them keep the brass under glass to stop tarnshing?

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Collecting brass locomotives

Would I be wrong to think it's good to have at least one or two brass engines to keep as show pieces. Do people who have them that don't run them keep the brass under glass to stop tarnshing?
samliz;

Collecting brass locomotives is sort of a sideline hobby of model railroading. Some run their brass locomotives on their layouts, others just display them in a case, or on shelves. Some collectors don't even have a layout but just collect and display.
There are a lot more brass locomotives made in HO-scale and O-scale than in N-scale. I do have one N-scale brass locomotive, a bipolar electric.
Keeping brass in a case won't prevent tarnishing, but it can prevent expensive locomotives from hitting the floor! :eek: To some degree, brass locomotives have sort of "gone out of style" due to increasing prices and the improvement in the detail available on plastic locomotives.
Do you have a layout, or are you strictly a collector?

Have fun;

Traction Fan :smilie_daumenpos:

·
Registered
10,743 Posts
Brass locomotives don't tarnish. They are varnished to prevent it.

As far as just having one or more for show, that's up to you. I don't have any. I can't imagine paying those prices for something I'm not going to run, and I wouldn't dare run something that cost that much.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not a collector, but I have always admired the brass engines to the point I thought someday I'll get at least one. Kinda like having 1 gold coin. Anyway, I am an hobbyist of many things and have decided it's time to pursue trains. I have enjoyed trains since I was young. I have several cars for my yard and a couple steam locomotives. Now I finally have the time and room to start my layout.

·
Registered
4,614 Posts
I like to look at other's brass locomotives, but I would never own one myself. I think they are very nicely detailed, but I like livery paint schemes, so brass is rather pointless for me.

·
Registered
3,671 Posts
i have some .. run the layout with medium-small ones, painted, nothing over six driving wheels ..
the rest , smaller and larger, are in the display rack, about half are painted ..and yes, i ran them for a bit, but 2-6-0, and 4-6-0 fit the layout better, as well as the ones on the layout are already painted and weathered, you can't pick them apart from the plastic ones, except for better detail ..the plastic i have is bachmann spectrum geared steam mostly ..[ actually most of my brass is steam as well ..]

·
Registered
12 Posts
If I had the money and desire to buy a brass loco to represent and run where can I get a good one - my knowledge is little on what is good to excellent, so where to start?

·
Registered
3,671 Posts
If I had the money and desire to buy a brass loco to represent and run where can I get a good one - my knowledge is little on what is good to excellent, so where to start?

brasstrains.com [ i think-]

·
Registered
732 Posts
I have a few brass locomotives that I run. I have the blue goose and atsf 3463 by tenshodo. Now that I’ve done the work to them I enjoy running them. I also have a brass pioneer zephyr from nickel plate products a west side e8 a/b set a hallmark sd7 and an offbrand gp7 that has a brass shell on a plastic body. Not sure of the make on that locomotive. I personally buy the locos to run them but when you run them you have to keep it in mind that they’re eventually going to wear out. So they don’t get a whole lot of running time but when they do I enjoy seeing a brass locomotive from the 70s running today

1 - 11 of 11 Posts