Model Train Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if anyone has already asked the same question.

Right now i just wanna buy some factory painted brass loco for collection purpose with price around $500-1000.

Can someone recommend manufacture brands for H0 and N and websites to buy? It seems Micro Metakit, LEMACO and FULGUREX have really nice products but their prices are way expensive.

Thanks a lot!

H

·
Registered
5,256 Posts
Welcome...

Your price range sets a fair footprint, you shouldn't have any trouble finding a nice one for that. The big issue comes with desirability...just what particular model are you looking for?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Welcome aboard first off, and then for the brass locos; you could also check for some used Hallmark, or Oriental Imports. I'll have to check back with some sites for reference but they are out there if your interested.
One site rite off that I've dealt with many times is called
thecaboose.com they are back east and deal in mostly used items at a reasonable price.
Also one more to add to that is
http://brasstrains.com/Classic

I've dealt with them twice also, but slightly more expensive than the Caboose

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the responses. It really helps.

To be honest, I have done some research on brass loco (as well as the layout) but I was still a little confused. I don't know if any of you guys is familiar with diecast model car or wood model ship building. I am a crazy collector of diecast model car, for me, the brands, CMC and BBR, are the best in 1:18 and 1:43. I am also building a wood ship and Corel provides the quality product. What i meant is the BRAND matters here no matter which channels you get the the products. However, when i looked at brass loco, it seemed to me that the "importer" really matters, and i can barely see the manufacturers' brand name. Is it because there are too many manufacturers or there if no differentiation among them?

Am I wrong? sorry for the newbie questions. Thanks!

·
Registered
284 Posts
Thanks for all the responses. It really helps.

To be honest, I have done some research on brass loco (as well as the layout) but I was still a little confused. I don't know if any of you guys is familiar with diecast model car or wood model ship building. I am a crazy collector of diecast model car, for me, the brands, CMC and BBR, are the best in 1:18 and 1:43. I am also building a wood ship and Corel provides the quality product. What i meant is the BRAND matters here no matter which channels you get the the products. However, when i looked at brass loco, it seemed to me that the "importer" really matters, and i can barely see the manufacturers' brand name. Is it because there are too many manufacturers or there if no differentiation among them?

Am I wrong? sorry for the newbie questions. Thanks!
Well if I'm reading you correctly; the ones with the best details in my opinion are OMI/Overland Imports. There are a few different brands and if you want to learn about the different brands before purchase then spend $50 and purchase the Brass Train Model Guide. It will probably satisfy your needs.
And yes I've purchased a few of the Diecast models and built a few, but never really paid attention to the brand just the details of the particular models. As with Trains as well more into the details and the running mechanism than brand name, but then I don't collect for collecting I run my models...often.
Hope that helps

1 - 8 of 8 Posts