Model Train Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a couple of tenshodo Hudson’s that seem like they have excessive gear noise. I have lubricated the drive lines and used lubriplate assembly lube for the gearing. Any ideas of how to lower the noise

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that isn't going to happen. I was I guess just nervous that I may take out the gearing in them. theyre smooth runners just didn't want to destroy the gearing I guess. in my trade if there is gear noise it can lead to big problems. just wanted to prevent it if that was a possibility

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
you can tighten up some of the clearances ... -sometimes- it reduces gear noise, somtimes not ... doesn't seem to be any consistency to it ..

·
Registered
689 Posts
Check You Tube. A couple years back I saw a video of some brass engines running that were as smooth and quiet as Swiss watches. The guy definitely modified them to run like that.
He may have a how-to video explaining his methods. Worth a look.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
these both have can motors installed to them so the washers don't exist anymore and ill look into that video

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
If there isn't obviously excessive play, and the bearings are well lubed, you may find that running the locomotive with lapping compound for 20 or 30 minutes, forwards and backwards, will help to set the tooth interface.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
If you can isolate the wheel drive mechanism from the gear/motor transmission, you might figure out which is the problem. I would make sure the wheel drives all work smooth before messing with any quick fixes. If the motor was replaced there is a good chance the wheel drives are are not set right (Quartering) and all that has to be smooth or you will never get things cleaned up.

·
Registered
410 Posts
FWIW, old Tenshodo models were known for being a bit noisy even though they ran well. It may be that the real solution is to install a new NWSL gearbox, but that entails removing and replacing the gear on the driver, which means pulling one driver off and the having to requarter it after the new gear is pressed on. Not for the faint of heart.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts