Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The bridge arrived today. They shipped it separately.
It appears that with the clearance between the end girders being 5 1/8 inches, 2 sets of track could be run over the span. It might be tight, but it would work.

The track that was originally in the the bridge was made by, Genuine Tru Scale Roadbed & Brass Rails Really nice!

View attachment 3137

View attachment 3138

View attachment 3139

·
16,666 Posts
Jim,

If I recall, this most recent ebay "lot" of yours had a mix of scales / gauges. What is the intented gauge of that bridge? Height clearance under the end girders? Just curious (as usual!) ...

TJ

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,526 Posts
It's an S Scale Bridge-4 5/8" without roadbed/track. To tight for "O"

I swear I watch a lot of stuff that you win on e bay.:laugh:

Do you have a Lionel O/27 track that you can put on it and take a picture?

I thought you could mount one and have enough clearance to operate O/27 on it? Whats the height of the lowest top girder beam, from the ground up?

If anything it would have made for a nice overpass for cars and trucks on my layout.:D

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ya Think?

I swear I watch a lot of stuff that you win on e bay.:laugh:

Do you have a Lionel O/27 track that you can put on it and take a picture?

I thought you could mount one and have enough clearance to operate O/27 on it? Whats the height of the lowest top girder beam, from the ground up?

If anything it would have made for a nice overpass for cars and trucks on my layout.:D
It's an S Scale Bridge-4 5/8" without roadbed/track. To tight for "O"

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,526 Posts
Tank's for the pictures.:thumbsup:

Is that true O gauge track?

You can get the track down some by repositioning some of the ties.
You won't really see them on the bridge. Lay the rail right down on the road bed, but make sure the hot rail in insulated.
It all depends on where you are going to mount the bridge on your layout too. Whats going to run under it?
You could camouflage it with weathered wooden beams.

If it's going to sit real low, like over water with some rapids, you don't have to worry about seeing under the bottom.:D

How high is it from the bottom plate to the bottom of the lowest girder?

From the roadbed up to the lowest beam.

From the bottom of the engine to the bottomside of the lowest top girder? 5 or 6"?

Do you know what I mean?

:laugh:It still would make a good O gauge vehicle bridge, or a big pedestrian bridge?:laugh:

·
16,666 Posts
Don't do what I did with my HO layout ... I designed an underpass and wanted to make sure I had adequate height clearance. I measured my locos and my cars, and sized accordingly. Uhhh ... all the cars except one of my caboose. First time around (the underpass) the onboard stove stack whacked into the underside of the bridge. My kids were looking on, too ... "Dad ... was that supposed to happen?" Dohhh!

Go figure ... of all of my HO stuff, it's the bloody caboose that's the high point!

(Not any more, though ... I pulled off the stove stack, whacked off 1/4", and glued it back in. Don't tell anyone, though ... I don't want my secret to get out!)

TJ

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bob, the bridge was an added bonus as far as the whole lot. I wanted the Crane, 2-Light Towers, Semaphore and Gateman, mostly. At a length of 27.5", it will undoubtably dominate my layout. Working the bridge into a 60" X 110" layout will take some very creative planning:D

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Like it's Easy!

Bob, I think the only way I could use the bridge, would be to build two "Mountains" with tunnels under both:eek::eek:

I'd then need an elevated rail set up because I don't have enough room for the grade to be workable. Sound right?

If I did that, I could run my "O" up top and "S" on the lower level.
(which means I'll have to start collecting "O" stock:laugh::laugh::laugh:)

·
Yard Master & Research
10,585 Posts
Sounds OK to me.
Mine is a separate elevated loop no grades. Just a simple loop to add alitle dimension. Mountains? I have no room. Too much track. How about an addition?:D

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Say What?

Reckers, you're just trying to get me in trouble with Bob!:laugh::laugh:

Last night, the wife and I were discussing the layout plans and I took her over to the In-Law-Suite, to show her where everything was going.

What A Mistake:eek::eek:

The longest run would be the 110" I have that goes wall to wall in front of 3 sets of windows. The sill is 24" above the floor. When I showed her that the table height would be 32" plus the added height of some elevated runs and possibly a mountain, I would wager that our neighbors were frightened by the, "Are you crazy?" that she screamed out:laugh:

Evidently, having trains that are visible from your windows is, "Gauche", and she went on to explain the meaning of the word to me;

"–adjective
lacking social grace, sensitivity, or acuteness; awkward; crude; tactless"
(as if i didn't know the meaning!):D

She wants the trains on the floor, or at the most, below eye level looking in from our back walk.

Things are a bit "Chilly" around here at the moment. What I can't understand, was that I offered to set everything up here, in the garage. Just $2000 for wallboard, flooring, and 2 window-heat/ac units. No big deal:rolleyes:
(voice got loud again!)

What's a guy to do?:confused:

besides..........................:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,526 Posts
Just build yourself a 50' x 50' "shed". As they call them in Australia.:laugh:

Or maybe a new car for her?
Flowers and dinner?
A cruise?

You got to pay to play.;):D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts