Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading a back issue of O gauge Railroading and there is an article on how to build an O gauge test set. It is similar to the test stations from Lionel.
If anyone is interested in building one as well, let me know and I will get you the article/instructions. I am not the best at building things, so I could use the support.

Who's with me??

Mark

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am about to build my first official train layout. I have many projects that I will need to work on. A test area on my workbench will help me keep things neat.... I need all the help I can get in that category.

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,965 Posts
Do you want to own a piece of history?
Lionel's premium 5D Test Bench produced during the 1950's.
Everything works, rare find.
Made in the USA.
Be the first in your neighborhood to own one.
Wow it is in New Jersey too.:D:thumbsup:
On sale today,

Technology Electronics Electronic device Machine

http://www.trainshoppe.com/images/5D.html

·
Admin
46,400 Posts
Now, that's a train test station! :p:p

Funny thing, when I was in high school, I made a 6 foot Tesla coil, it would throw a three foot spark, very impressive! :D I'd love to make another one of those, it was certainly a crowd-pleaser whenever I demonstrated it. :D

·
Admin
46,400 Posts
My hair was fine, but a few other people got a surprise. I had it rigged right inside the door of my basement workshop. I could flip a switch outside as someone opened the door and they'd be greeted with a very loud and visible arc about 3 feet from their face! :D It was an attention grabber. I even took it to my high school once for science class. They loved it, but it was a PITA to transport, fairly delicate and bulky.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here is an update for my "Build an O Gauge Test Kit" project.
I have finished most of the installation, now it is on to wiring. The article provided some diagrams and a brief explanation. I am going to need help through it...... Any electrical wiring people out there?

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,965 Posts
Hmmmm, what is that green thing your hiding behind the box?:p

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,965 Posts
Looks quite nice/neat, but why so big? Do you need that much space for components in the back, or did you simply "borrow" an existing drawer box or something?

TJ
See the picture I posted of the Lionel one it has to be big enough for the track on top.
A big part of the testing.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ah yes the Hellgate bridge.... Every time I am driving by it on The RFK I almost get into an accident. I figured it would be safer on my layout.
I contacted the man who wrote the article in 1996 to see if he has a better diagram.
I have it in PDF on my computer, but I haven't taken Jim and Ed's 300 level course on "Let's make posting files on MTF Complicated" yet. :rolleyes:
I am sure there is a simple solution so feel free to chime in!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts