Model Train Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all. I'm not so familiar with this site as I am not on here so often, but I have been working on something a while I would like to share.

I got lucky one day in fall of 2016, and on ebay, I found a model of the original 12 car bullet train set from a 1960's Japan. (named the "0 Series Shinkansen") I bought it, and immediately found that the original motors drew too much amperage. 6 cars out of the 12 were powered.

after brainstorming for a couple weeks, instead of solving this with a different power pack/transformer, I wanted to go the hard route and came up with the idea of traction motors - if it works on the real thing, why not in HO scale? There are phone vibrator motors that I could use that would fit between the axles perfectly.

The other idea I had was to power the train with an Arduino (for those unfamiliar, it is a small robotics programmable 'motherboard') So this train is going to be run with 2 Arduinos built into it, and controlled by any bluetooth wireless device. It can run on either DC or DCC

It's been about 6 months, and in between trying to manage this with regular life, I finally got the first EMU cab car up and running. The result of my endeavors is shown in this video:

" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>
I still have a long way to go to to get the full thing running, but I am very eager to get it done.
Not every car is going to be powered, I figure about 6-8 out of 12 cars should be fitted with traction motors. I guess we'll see how it goes.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Wow! That is....amazing. Well done, sir. I call this type of stuff "brain surgery modeling". It is much appreciated, especially since I am at the " first aid kit" level. :laugh:
Nonetheless it's always great to see what's possible with skill and imagination.
Is that Kato Unitrack that it's running on? If so, at least we have one thing in common. Lol.
Thanks and please keep us posted on your progress.
Best,
Dan

·
Registered
500 Posts
Great work!
Nice to see someone else using Bluetooth in the hobby. You might be interested in this Arduino compatible product, “Bluno Beetle SKU:DFR0339” (or other on-board -Bluetooth boards).
Bob

·
Registered
4,912 Posts
I vaguely remember reading some time back about one of the HO manufacturers making one or two diesel locos with axle motors rather than the typical can motor and gears. I wasn't able to quickly find any info on them, but I did find the link below. Anyone else recall hearing about them?

http://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/node/6838

·
Registered
538 Posts
Kato made the powered trucks, believe it was for the P42s.

My question is, why do it that way instead of going conventional and using a motor such as Kato or a Canon and driving the gear towers to the trucks that way?

Any pictures of the set up not in the cars/engines?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow! That is....amazing. Well done, sir. I call this type of stuff "brain surgery modeling". It is much appreciated, especially since I am at the " first aid kit" level. :laugh:
Nonetheless it's always great to see what's possible with skill and imagination.
Is that Kato Unitrack that it's running on? If so, at least we have one thing in common. Lol.
Thanks and please keep us posted on your progress.
Best,
Dan
Thanks, man. I appreciate it! I encourage you to keep working at your own 'brain surgery modeling', it's hard, but it is really rewarding. it was so satisfying when I got this one car to run for the first time. and Yeah, that's Unitrack. I guess I cant get away from Japanese architecture

I vaguely remember reading some time back about one of the HO manufacturers making one or two diesel locos with axle motors rather than the typical can motor and gears
I believe you might be talking about Kato's Amtrak P42's that got released a few years ago - they're actually fitted with two motors each, one mounted on each truck. that design is actually partially what inspired this bullet train. I could be wrong, but that's the only thing I can think of

My question is, why do it that way instead of going conventional and using a motor such as Kato or a Canon and driving the gear towers to the trucks that way?

Any pictures of the set up not in the cars/engines?
Partially because I wanted to experiment to see if it would actually work, but also because the less space I take up inside the train with a typical motor, the more room there is for an interior, which I dont have right now, but anything is possible with the power of 3D printing :D

Attachments

·
Registered
4,974 Posts
Have motors. Where did you get the gears?

Bearded Lumberjack;

First off great work! Second, I have similar tiny vibration motors that I bought at www.allelectronics.com I'm very curious about where you obtained gears that would fit these motors. I'd like to find a worm gear and matching thread spur gear. I want to use the motors slowed down. Any info on a source of gears would be appreciated.

Thanks;

Traction Fan:smilie_daumenpos:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They're actually 3D printed because I needed something very specific and couldn't find anything really. if you want I think I can link you the 3D model I made, I had Shapeways print it out

1 - 10 of 10 Posts