Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought some people on the forum might be interested in this project.

After WW2, like most railroads, the New Haven re-equipped its premier passenger trains with stainless steel equipment. As part of this order, two of its 'County' series baggage-parlor-lounge cars (New London County & Putnam County) were outfitted with Radio-Telephone equipment for service on the New York-Boston Merchants Limited, allowing passengers to place calls from the train. This service lasted into the mid-1950's. See more on these cars here:
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/thenhrhtanewhavenrailroadforum/county-car-rebuilds-t8609.html?sid=68bf08d47a2c3ca8ba4f5f3e91ad3b9c

I decided to model Putnam County using a standard Railking 60' streamlined car as a staring point.

After disassembling the car, I cut out all the window posts on both sides, and sanded the remaining frames smooth. The car was measured and marked for new window posts.

PP2.png
PP3.png

To capture the distinctive roofline of the New Haven's cars, the ends of the MTH car were flattened, and the roof trimmed by 3/4" on both ends. I drew new end pieces in CAD software and had them 3D printed by a friend in PLA plastic. They sanded easily and were glued directly to the car ends.

PP4.png
PP5.png

The main tools used so far are a handheld cross-cut saw and sander from Micro-Mark, in addition to sanding by hand.
More progress is to follow.

~C.Vigs

·
Registered
5,010 Posts
Railking passenger cars are well made. It should come out nicely. I'd like to see your progress.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for the encouragement everyone! An important resource for me has been http://www.alphabetroute.com, where a significant number of official New Haven equipment diagrams have been uploaded. The one relevant here is passenger diagram 206-207. While New London County & Putnam County were constructed as baggage-parlor-lounge cars with the rest of the county series, by the early 1950's they had been rebuilt to eliminate the baggage section, replaced with drawing rooms. See the diagram below:

View attachment Passenger Diagram 206-207.pdf

New window posts were cut from 1/8" wide styrene strip and sanded to provide a snug fit before gluing. The equivalent of one window per side is actually blanked out, helping give the car a distinctive look. The radio-antennas were also 3D printed, sanded, and secured to the car roof. MTH's stock end diaphragms were modified slightly to fit beneath the new roof end pieces. Finally, a strip of Pullman-Standard style fluting from Union Station Products (https://unionstationproducts.com/) was cut down from 5-ribs wide to 4, and secured above the window band.

PP6.png
PP7.png
PP8.png
PP9.png

Next for the exterior: new letter boards and monogram plates.

~C.Vigs

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Some progress over the past few days. Letterboards and monogram plates mounted. On the real 'Putnam County', the lower letterboard was 19'6" long, or a third of the length of the car if I didn't scale it down. Both letterboards are shrunk to two-thirds of their scale length.

PP10.png

PP11.png

A quick coat of white primer shows all the cracks and joints needing to be filled. Two cycles of filling-lightsanding-priming yield the near-seamless result below.

PP12.png

PP13.png

~C.Vigs

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you Lee, Gunrunner, and to everyone who's commented, and for the complements. My favorite threads are always the cool-project kind, so I figured I would start sharing them myself.

~C.Vigs

·
Registered
510 Posts
I'm really enjoying this topic. It's nice to see people making what they want, and sharing how they did it. I've gotten a few pointers from this project that will help with with my own. Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Wow, Lots of craftsmanship presented here. Very nicely done and good information. Very impressed with the historical data you have given in your links. It is quite a collection of history for Northeast and Midwest modelers of the Alphabet Route.

PS Welcome to this forum. Hopefully you will enjoy the company and share more of your projects and information.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
C.Vigs, That is some mighty fine work! :thumbsup: I'll be glad to follow along!

I see you joined in 2015, same as me. I'm also glad to see you posting! I haven't been posting much on this Forum myself for a while due to too many irons in the fire myself. :eek: This is a good place.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm glad people are enjoying this thread, expect a few more like it as I go down my list of projects (and maybe one about past projects I didn't post).

Over the past week the car has been given a coat of aluminum paint, to simulate the stainless steel exterior. When dulled slightly with a clear coat at the end of the project it should give off a nice finish.

PP14.png

PP15.png

To remove the roof from the MTH cars, the shell must be twisted to release the snap-connects. This puts a torsional stress on the new window posts, which I foresee being a problem at some point in the future. The window posts will be braced with a thin styrene sheet on the interior.

Interior work was also started. As seen on the interior diagram on the first page, the car contains a number of parlor - lounge seats in a booth configuration as well as private drawing rooms and the radio-telephone room. For the parlor section, I'm using the stock MTH interior as a base, as it already has some basic wiring attached and contains the only one of the three stock lights I could retain with the new window configuration.

PP16.png

The roof also received a coat of satin black; too shiny for my tastes, but like the aluminum should be dulled down with a clear coat.

PP17.png

PP18.png

Now the tedious part; masking off the window frames so they remain silver while the rest of the window band receives a coat of red-orange paint.

~C.Vigs

·
Admin
43,192 Posts
That's looking great. I do have a couple of suggestions.
To remove the roof from the MTH cars, the shell must be twisted to release the snap-connects. This puts a torsional stress on the new window posts, which I foresee being a problem at some point in the future. The window posts will be braced with a thin styrene sheet on the interior.
You can nip the sharp edges off the latching tabs so that it doesn't take nearly as much force to pop the top off the cars. Given all the work you're putting into it, that might be a good idea. The screws should hold the top just fine.

Also, have you considered lighting these cars with LED lighting? Once you see that, you'll never go back to a couple of bulbs! :)

·
Registered
5,010 Posts
Also, have you considered lighting these cars with LED lighting? Once you see that, you'll never go back to a couple of bulbs! :)
GRJ got me started on LEDs. I have put LEDs in some of my cars and engines. I plan to install LEDS in all of them at some point. You can"t go wrong with them and you'll never have to change them.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts