Model Train Forum banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Second car done, Parlor-Lounge "New Rochelle". Like "Putnam County", the stock MTH coach interior makes for a nice simulation of parlor car seats, so I kept them. The Lounge section is along the two windows closest to the door; here I shaved off the seats with an X-acto knife and added benches made out of bass wood strips along the walls.

For historical background, the New Haven had five Parlor-Lounge cars in their streamlined fleet. The Lounge was really a smoking area, with seats available those who bought parlor seats in the same or a neighboring parlor car. They were originally in the "River" name series ("Hudson River", "Housatonic River", "Connecticut River", "Thames River", and "Blackstone River"), however they had to be renamed soon after delivery as their names conflicted with a series of sleeping cars on the New York Central. Pullman operated parlor service on the New Haven at the time, and they kept track of their cars via names, rather than car numbers and railroad assigned, and were none too pleased to have duplicate names on their roster. They were then given the "cities" series names, as with the rest of the New Haven's parlor cars, however with a "New" prefix ("New Haven", "New Milford", "New Rochelle", "New London", and "New Bedford").

IMG_8724.JPG

IMG_8726 (1).JPG

IMG_8781.JPG

IMG_8782.JPG

Hopefully up next is two straight parlor cars, "Danbury" and "Attleboro".

~CJV

·
Registered
638 Posts
Nice work, I like the idea of super detailing some passenger cars.:thumbsup:

41 - 47 of 47 Posts