Model Train Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Afternoon Everyone,

A while back I purchased one of the Menard's American Materials structures(the one with the illuminated American Flag) and finally got around to completing the rest of the items for my aggregate supply business. This will be a new scene for my module once our club starts displaying again after the train events are up and running once again.

The first few photos show the new office building and small storage shed. This started out as the bright blue MTH workhouse #1. I disassembled the building(which is easy to do as it is screwed together) including popping out the window frames. I rattle canned the building Rustoleum Colonial Red satin and painted the doors/window frames with Model Master wood color. The small storage shed was actually originally part of the main building, but it is also removable so I'm using it as a stand alone structure. It got the same color as the main building. Since I used the original door from the shed on the rear of the office building, I fabricated a new shed door from some basswood scraps. I stained the pieces, glued them together with Elmer's Carpenter Glue and attached the door to the shed with clear silicone caulk. The roofs of both structures are O Scale aluminum corrugated sheets that I cut and trimmed to fit and glued in place with clear silicone caulk. I still need to finish a rudimentary interior for the office building.

The next group of photos shows the coal/red dog storage bins that I scratch built. The base is 1/32" clear plastic sheet cut to size. while the walls are 3/8" square basswood. Basswood pieces were cut to the correct lengths, stained with Minwax special walnut, and then glued into position on the plastic base. After everything was dry, I glued some styrofoam pieces together and sliced/carved 2 of them to fit into each section of the bin. I painted one styrofoam piece acrylic black, spread on Elmer's white glue, sprinkled on a heavy layer of Scenic Express Egg Coal and let it dry overnight. I used the same process on the styrofoam piece for the red dog section of the bin. For the red dog, I used a mixture of O scale material from Arizona Rock & Mineral along with red & orange edging concrete that I smashed into small pieces. Next day, I shook off all the loose material from both pieces and glued both of them into their respective sides with Elmer's white glue. The size of the bin is 9" wide x 5" deep x 1 15/16" high.

The last group of photos are a few dump trucks that I made loads for using the same styrofoam carving, glueing, material adding and overnight drying techniques that I used on the storage bin. The blue truck with the coal load is actually a Russian truck that I picked up at a train show quite a while ago. It looks close enough to pass as an old Studebaker truck. The red truck with the large gravel/ballast load is an International and the yellow truck with the red dog load is a White.

Maybe these will give someone a couple ideas.

DSC01094.JPG
DSC01095.JPG
DSC01096.JPG
DSC01097.JPG
DSC01098.JPG
DSC01100.JPG
DSC01101.JPG
DSC01103.JPG
DSC01104.JPG
DSC01105.JPG

Reactions: Chaostrain

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks good, I like the trucks but they need company names on them. :)

Here you go John. You shamed me into doing these😃. A couple of "company trucks" for the business to deliver the goods.

DSC01108 (2).JPG
DSC01109 (2).JPG
DSC01110 (2).JPG

Reactions: Chaostrain

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice work. Are you club guys still meeting every week at Dave's? I miss seeing you guys!

Where the heck have you been? Didn't have meetings for a while this year due to pandemic. Mostly at Dave's but also at 3 or 4 other members as well. Lots of us have had different health adventures.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts