Model Train Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey fellow railfanners

recently I decided for some reason that it would be a good idea to undertake the project of building Norfolk Southern's "Honoring Our Veterans" locomotive. I have all the parts I need to build the unit, including the SD60 "E" cab. The next step is to paint and decal it, I have the model all set.

I was curious if you guys had any suggestions or tips I could follow to not screw this model up or make this model more realistic. What do ya'll think? I have built other things before, but this is my first time really building a model train.

Thanks
John

Attachments

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
You might be advised to buy a airbrush to paint the main colours needn't be too expensive you just need one that does general coverage, not detail. You'll also need to make up some decals, you can do this on an inkjet printer using special paper. This company sells it: http://www.craftycomputerpaper.co.uk/.-Inkjet-Water-Slide-Decal-Paper_151.htm I'm sure you can get similar in the U.S. Good luck. Just don't go getting any those beard hairs in the finish!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You'll also need to make up some decals, you can do this on an inkjet printer using special paper.
Thanks for the advice cycleops! I bought decals some company was selling online. I found everything there. but as far as an airbrush goes, I don't know if I really need one if I found the right colors in spray cans, do I? mask off the loco well, and spray it.

beard hairs? I wish I could grow a beard that was threatening enough!

John

·
Registered
919 Posts
.....as far as an airbrush goes, I don't know if I really need one if I found the right colors in spray cans, do I? mask off the loco well, and spray it.

John
The simple answer is, if you have the correct colors a spray can will do fine. That said, there are varying quality of spray paint. I've had great success with Scalecoat II spray paint.

For the future though, I'd look into investing in an airbrush set up if you plan on continuing your model railroad model building. Gives you a lot more flexibility and options.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The simple answer is, if you have the correct colors a spray can will do fine. That said, there are varying quality of spray paint. I've had great success with Scalecoat II spray paint.
got it. i think I might pursue this model building thing in the future, so I guess I could look into it. I've heard Testors paint is good for models. not the kind I have right now, but definitely ready to read reviews

thanks
john

·
Registered
9,365 Posts
John

You should test any can spray paint on an obscure part of your
loco or car before using it. Some are not plastic friendly.

I've had very good results with Tamiya spray can paint. I got a
blemish free smooth finish the first time and it didn't hide
details.

I removed the old paint by soaking the shell in brake fluid
then used a brush to clean it. A toothpick safely removes
old pain from details.

Practice on scrap plastic before painting your loco. It's
important to get the right distance from the object
being painted.

Don

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Whenever lumberjacks are mentioned I always think of this: http://youtu.be/sZa26_esLBE
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
how could you not think of that? :)

Practice on scrap plastic before painting your loco. It's
important to get the right distance from the object
being painted.
righto. practicing a bunch before I paint this thing. I dont want to buy a new part because I'm ignorant.

thanks all
John

1 - 11 of 11 Posts