Model Train Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One week late, finally went to Home Depot to pick up wood and paint this morning. I found a perfectly flat piece of 1/2" birch plywood & straight 1 x 3s for the bottom support. First plywood piece was slightly curved at one end. 2nd piece was 'there'.

1" x 3" support under the plywood measures 42" wide x 90" long. Cross braces are every 18". Ended up very stiff with no flexing. My build ideas were from this site.

I paint the top dark green tonight and paint rural 'dirt' roads dark brown tomorrow morning. Hopefully dry enough in afternoon to set track, buildings & lights.

Cost with wood and paint & brushes was $158. Cheap plywood was about $32 and looked terrible, the birch was $44. Worth $12 more for the birch IMO.

·
Moderator Torpedo Emeritus
3,016 Posts
And now the fun begins.. LOL. You have the base to start your proposed layout, The decisions of track, scenery, etc. will be part of the fun, in the upcoming months. Have fun.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
6:30pm. Green paint is done. Sitting in 47F degrees outside under the covered patio. At midnight I will put inside my heated house and dry over night. Paint says use from 50F to 90F.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts