Model Train Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So decided to buy an airbrush, compressor and a little paint... and I've this one building I just finished which looks very similar to the picture in the link below.

I need a test case for the airbursh and so I thought it would do...

https://www.amazon.com/Walthers-Inc-Fire-Station-20-3/dp/B0070EAEZ0

And so now what? I mean it looks kinda ok to me and so the idea is to "mess it up" with a bit of paint?

I was looking at some light colored brick buildings and all I could come up with was adding a little dark green, perhaps dark gray to black for example under the windows sills to suggest mold or lichens...

I'm open to ideas, as my creative juices appear to be broken entirely.

·
Registered
10,511 Posts
Well, if it looks kinda okay to you, then let it be.

However, I have that same kit, and to me it looks very monotonous and plasticky.

Personally, I don't think you can do much damage by painting it. When I get around to it, I will paint the bricks a flat, more beige color, and add mortar lines with a wash of white paint. I will paint the window sills and the cornice a more contrasting color (deep green?), and the roof dark gray, with a little dusting of white to make parts look faded. I'll add some algae to the roof (Vallejo has an awesome textured paint for this) and dirt stains coming down off window sills and other horizontal parts. I'll finish it with a coat of matte varnish.

But that's me. You need to do you.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It looks ok but sterile -- I think it needs a little something but I'm not sure what. I'll try one of that not front walls. Maybe a very fine mist of black, gray or dark greens... not sure.

your suggestions are what i was thinking except i don't know how to pull it off, but there's only way to learn!

Ok now that I recall my big complaint. It's got nothing on the inside. I was thinking of adding a floor -- since it's 2 levels. Also the doors don't have anyway to open them. etc etc... I guess one could spend well as much time as one wants on any particular model.

·
Registered
10,511 Posts
The easiest way to add "detail" to the inside of a model is to build small shadow boxes with pictures of interior detail (you can find suitable images on the Net). Set them back in about 3/4", and they will appear very convincing to the casual observer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts