Model Train Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to know what light bulb to use for my 8304........

Any tips on replacement procedures appreciated. THANX

Train Wheel Rolling stock Vehicle Rolling

·
Yard Master & Research
11,869 Posts
The 8304 uses a 161-300 bulb, a 14 volt wedge bulb.

Font Audio equipment Electronic device Magenta Fashion accessory

This bulb is used in conjunction with the smoke unit. It is possible the smoke unit may have been changed out and another bulb could be required. The smoke unit may have been disconnected, that would affect the bulb too.

·
Registered
754 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for replies........I was going to use our local hardware store and get this...OK?

Blue Font Electric blue Liquid Electronic device

It looks to me that Lionel did not make replacement a 5 minute job, so I have a little work to do.

Gas Machine Auto part Font Metal

By the way, this loco is from a 1970's Lionel Rock Island express set. Complete and in great shape but did not run. Cleaned it up, oiled it, and she runs great, smoked good, and light worked fine. In testing the transformer on my work bench, I had a Parkinsons moment and double hit the reversing terminal which unfortunately worked perfectly and I managed to run the loco right off the bench and onto the floor! :mad:

I have a thick relatively soft fatigue mat on the floor so it looks like the only damage suffered was loss of one of the jewels which as usual is now somewhere in a galaxy far away and joined with many other things that I have dropped and never found. I should be a Las Vegas magician making millions of dollars a year cause anything I drop almost always disappears forever.

It's not a valuable piece of model RR history, but it really makes me mad that in one hour I damaged something that for 50 years remained unscathed.

·
Yard Master & Research
11,869 Posts
The automotive bulb will be brighter and may not last as long. It is 12 volt. Again you may not notice any differences. The jewels can be ordered if you end up making a list or try a craft shop. The may not be exact look at 3 to 5 mm range.

·
Registered
754 Posts
The automotive bulb will be brighter and may not last as long. It is 12 volt.
Automotive bulbs are rated for 14vdc +. Most modern automobile electrical systems, if the vehicle's alternator is working properly, has a voltage output range of 13.9 vdc to 14.8 vdc. The automotive bulb should work just fine. Remember the transformer output voltage is a variable AC voltage. And if I remember my electronics correctly???. The DC component of AC voltage is usually 70.7% of the AC Voltage level. This is why lamps last so long in O Gauge electric trains.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts