Model Train Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a set of freight car decals that indicate that the car depicted needs to be painted 'burgundy'. I am having zero luck finding anything besides Testor's spray of metallic burgundy, which I already own.

Suggestions?

Thanks!

·
Registered
8,609 Posts
What's the road name of the decal set? CPR had a color called Tuscan, which is a deep burgundy......

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
What time period are you modeling? Wikipedia says this line began in 1872 and survived into the present day (impressive!!!), so the 'burgundy' color you are looking for could be anything from red oxide to boxcar red to any number of deep reds.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Time period? 'Modern Era', I think. Decals are Herald King and the freight car has no roofwalk.

And I'll see if I can locate some of the Krylon paint, above.

Thanks, folks.

·
Registered
9,897 Posts
Actually, as you get more experience in this hobby, you'll realize that paint colors aren't standard. What the PRR calls "Tuscan Red" may look like burgundy to many.

Your best bet is to find a picture of the color you want, and try to match an existing color. Personally, I would use an airbrush (with Vallejo Acrylics paints) to paint a loco, but a rattle can will work.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Actually, as you get more experience in this hobby, you'll realize that paint colors aren't standard. What the PRR calls "Tuscan Red" may look like burgundy to many.

Your best bet is to find a picture of the color you want, and try to match an existing color. Personally, I would use an airbrush (with Vallejo Acrylics paints) to paint a loco, but a rattle can will work.
I'm new to this forum, been doing HO for 40 years off and on, and I'm working down my 40-year inventory of undecorated freight cars. Right now I'm looking at two hanging display cases with 45 cars I've decorated over the years. And I like the advice to use any paint I can get to match a picture. The comment from Lehigh74 got me to look at Krylon rattle cans, and I think such will do the color job based on photos I scared up of what looks to be the car that the Herald King decals emulate. I've been using that paint matching reasoning on my gaggle of WWII display 1/72 and 1/48 airplanes. Time passes, colors change, images can be distorted (I like the permanence of Kodachrome, but no telling what medium was made to take a picture or the lighting of the scene pictured).

Everything I've gotten as advice, comment, explanation is a treasure. Experience is expensive in time and effort and funding, and being offered the experience of others shortens the gathering time and expense a great deal.

Thanks, folks.

·
Registered
9,897 Posts
I guess I should have said "more experience with custom painting"... but still, in paint matching, ignore nomenclature and match color.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
The Bath & Hammondsport boxcars were built in 1979 by FMC. Athearn and Atlas make the correct FMC 5347cuft boxcars that you'd want to use for this.

http://rr-fallenflags.org/misc-b/bh25137agd.jpg (1979)
Canadian Freight Railcar Gallery - BH 25131 (1979 B&W)

They didn't last long in their original marks however, and were sold off already in less than a year by 1980.

Canadian Freight Railcar Gallery - TTIS 25111 (1985 B&W)
Canadian Freight Railcar Gallery - TTIS 25140 (1980)

However the original paint on these quickly went through a pretty extreme colour shift after only a few years:

http://rr-fallenflags.org/misc-t/ttis25127amh.jpg
http://rr-fallenflags.org/misc-t/ttis25143akg.jpg (1986)
Canadian Freight Railcar Gallery - MDR 8499 (1996)
Canadian Freight Railcar Gallery - EEC 2971 (2006)

·
Registered
496 Posts
I would recommend sticking to colors you can get both spray cans and hand paint bottles, otherwise you can't touch up the colors.

·
Registered
8,609 Posts
That almost looks like CP action red......but it's hard to get the actual color in a photo......lighting, indoor or outdoor, camera, it all plays into it.....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts