Model Train Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
And the four motor mount studs/screws. Been so long since I had an Athearn I can't remember what they are.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Excellent, thanks for info. This was in a plastic bin with 3 other bachmann engines and a bunch of rolling stock I had in storage.does anyone know what kind of couplers it came with?

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
+1 on the BNSF unit being an Athearn GP38-2

Older "blue box" model, would have delivered with the old "horn-hook" couplers, but knuckle couplers are easy to swap in. Just need to be careful using metal couplers on the existing mounts on this, as the Athearn metal frame forms part of the electrical circuit, so if you coupled two of these together in the wrong orientation, it could short-circuit by creating an electrical path with all that metal.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
+1 on the BNSF unit being an Athearn GP38-2

Older "blue box" model, would have delivered with the old "horn-hook" couplers, but knuckle couplers are easy to swap in. Just need to be careful using metal couplers on the existing mounts on this, as the Athearn metal frame forms part of the electrical circuit, so if you coupled two of these together in the wrong orientation, it could short-circuit by creating an electrical path with all that metal.
The only thing is that all my freight cars are horn, hook couplers

·
Registered
10,972 Posts
The only thing is that all my freight cars are horn, hook couplers
So convert them, too. Anything you buy these days (except "new, old stock") is going to come with a knuckle coupler out of the box.

If you don't have the appetite or budget to convert all of them at once, then create a transition car with a knuckle coupler on one end and a hook horn on the other. Use this to make up trains until you complete the conversion.

Reactions: Xrperry
1 - 15 of 15 Posts