Model Train Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do these buss bars have 2 bars underneath to connect the rows. I need to connect something like this to my transformer (red and black) to control accessories but if there is no bars to connect the rows I don't want to use a bunch of jumpers.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
I thought you were talking about this kind of bus bar...

Typically, you buy separate jumper bars to connect two contacts to one another. That's how they used to be sold at RadioShack.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
What you have pictured is a Jones Barrier Strip. If you google Jones Barrier Strip jumpers you will find a number of was to connect the adjacent terminals. Some strips are sold with jumpers. Search ebay.

Pete

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
John, when you say one jumper, are you weaving the solid wire thru all of the screw. I need at least 6 screws to have contact.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
I made my own buss bars from 1/8" aluminum bar stock and a plywood rectangle. There are around a dozen or more connections on each bar all connected together automatically.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
I like These Bus Bars. One bar for each feed: inside rail, outside rail and accessory power. You can remove the yellow standoffs for a lower profile.

They'll handle some large gauges. Smaller gauge, stranded wire might benefit from tinning the wire's stripped end.

But you have to wait several weeks for the "Slow Boat from China".

·
Registered
524 Posts
I just take a piece of solid wire and then bend it to fit the number of terminals I want to connect. Just one jumper, and not that hard to do.

This is what I do as well. I strip a single strand of copper wire out of a piece of Romex (usually from a piece of scrap I have laying around). I wind it through one side of the terminal block so the entire terminal block is energized from a single source.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I agree with GRJ & Maxum on the use of a length of solid wire as a jumper. In the TE shop where I worked we commonly called this type of wiring DAISY CHAINING. The barrier strip shown by Ennisdavis can be configured many ways. Draw it out on paper first then wire away using solid wire or commercial flat stock jumpers from the Barrier strip manufacturer.

LATER

1 - 11 of 11 Posts