Model Train Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
I like it!!!! really nice looking...

I have the menards Valvoline - just one of them.. and 6 of the sunoco tankers... just got a lionel 455 oil rig... eventually ill set all this up!!!!

so with that.. im using tubular track.

I really like your track and new to the hobby.

what track and turnouts are they? I have teh 022's and need to buy more, but if i switch to that style track and turnouts.. gotta buy stuff anyway...

thx

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I have the menards Valvoline - just one of them.. and 6 of the sunoco tankers... just got a lionel 455 oil rig... eventually ill set all this up!!!!

what track and turnouts are they? I have teh 022's and need to buy more, but if i switch to that style track and turnouts.. gotta buy stuff anyway...

thx
The track is Gargraves and switches are either Ross 072 or Gargraves 105's

Bill

·
Registered
258 Posts

thx
The rigs are really cool looking and always a plus being motorized. Blending one into the landscape and some weathering would really make for a cool scene.

However, they run ridiculously loud. I am not sure if a cure for this has came about or not. The folks who have them on their layouts use them more for looks instead of operational.

There has to be a way for manufacturers to deaden the sound but last I checked no corrections have been made. Maybe you could solve the issue. I was considering selling my 3 because of how loud they run but I don’t know just yet.

Very cool pieces nevertheless.

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
MTH's 455s use a DC motor and crankshaft instead of a solenoid so its very quiet and operation is more prototypical too.

Pete

·
Registered
583 Posts
The rigs are really cool looking and always a plus being motorized. Blending one into the landscape and some weathering would really make for a cool scene.

However, they run ridiculously loud. I am not sure if a cure for this has came about or not. The folks who have them on their layouts use them more for looks instead of operational.

There has to be a way for manufacturers to deaden the sound but last I checked no corrections have been made. Maybe you could solve the issue. I was considering selling my 3 because of how loud they run but I don’t know just yet.

Very cool pieces nevertheless.
so a bonus.. its old and "weathered" already :cheeky4:

i ran power to it and it seems fairly quiet. I do have to take it apart and clean it as the oil pump piece seems to not be consistent.. Ill post a vid tomorrow....
but i agree.. its awesome looking.. got it with switch, 3 barrels, still has hook, line and crank.... :smilie_daumenpos:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts