Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sometime in June thinking of buy a new modern steamer. What is a good decent one to get will spend around 300 to 500.00 birthday in June that's why waiting were to get one don't know alot about the new ones have read about some best place to find is here from u guys thanks .
Al

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
I recommend you look for a FlyerChief Berkshire. Mopac has one. They will run conventional, with their own remote or with an iPhone App. There is also a FlyerChief Northern but they are hard to find.

·
Registered
6,744 Posts
My thought is I agree with Tom. I did buy a FlyerChief berkshire. In fact, I liked it so
much I bought another. Great smoke, great sounding whistle, great slow speed, and
I am very happy with the first one. I have not run the second one yet. Check them out
at Charles Ro.com. They can be controlled by an Android phone also. I did a video
of my first one showing it smoking and running. If I can find it I will show it here.
Berkshires are a beautiful locomotive.

·
Registered
6,744 Posts
LOL, it even talks to you. Good sounds. Buy plenty of smoke fluid.
It really is a lot of locomotive for the money. And if you want to spend
more, they have the Legacy version. That gets you legacy control, 2
figures in the cab, and more LEDs. Very nice but I do not have a
Legacy control system. The FlyerChief version is fine for me.

·
Registered
6,744 Posts
AL, NP means it is lettered for Northern Pacific RailRoad. Pierre Marquet means Loco is lettered for Pierre Marquet RailRoad.

I paid 289.99 for mine. I also watch ebay and they are more there. I have seen used ones
that seller wants 339.00 for. I think 269,00 or 289.00 will be the least you will find. I have a
Pere Marquet and a Nickel Plate Road. I think shipping was only 10.00. Might be higher
now.

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
In FlyerChief I purchased an Erie Berksire. When the Legacy versions were released I bought an Erie and a Nickle Plate. The Legacy engines are more detailed, larger set of sounds, 200 speed steps, and cost a lot more. Only worth buying the Legacy version if you run your layout using the Legacy control system.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok I was on charles ro prices not bad they are only about two hours away from meso road trip. Lol thanks guys appreciate the advice. And guidance u guys are the best.

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
I recently purchased my new Legacy Pacific from Ro. Great place to buy from plus excellent pricing. Al, you are headed down a slippery slope purchasing new command control engines!

·
Registered
6,744 Posts
Al, anything you save on shipping by doing a road trip you will spend on sales tax
and gasoline. Probably will cost you more. Charles RO loses money on shipping.
These FlyerChief steamers come in a pretty big box. I do not pay sales tax on online
purchases. I do not know about your state. If you go to Ro you wll pay sales tax.

·
Registered
6,744 Posts
Al, here is a review I found on the Lionel FlyerChief Berkshire steamer. It shows the engine better
than my video. I agree with everything said in this video. My only complaint with the engine is with
the chuff sounds. At slower speeds it sounds great, but as you speed the engine up, you get to a point
that the chuff starts to sound like a machine gun. So you will find yourself running at a slower speed
than maybe your old Gilbert steamers. Not that big of deal. Its just what I noticed. Also the video mentions
whitewall wheels. Not all the engines get the whitewalls. I have 2 of these engines and only one has the whitewalls.
It depends on the road name. There is very little to not like on these engines. I doubt these wll last 70 years
like our Gilbert ones.

Lionel American Flyer FlyerChief 2-8-4 NKP Berkshire - Bing video

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
That is a well made video. It reminded me of another difference between the FlyerChief and Legacy versions. The FlyerChief has 2 chuffs/revolution, just like the Gilbert steam engines. The 2 chuff versions sound ok at higher speeds. The Legacy versions with 4 chuffs/revolution, same as real engines, sound great at very low speeds and tend to act as a mental speed limiter. I run my Legacy engines between 20 and 50SMPH, unlike Gilbert engines that never run as low as 50SMPH.
Not sure if everyone noticed that the layout was built with GarGraves flex track and Gilbert turnouts. The flex track made for a nicely operating track system with smooth curves and natural easements.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts