Model Train Forum banner
21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
6,847 Posts
Al, here is a review I found on the Lionel FlyerChief Berkshire steamer. It shows the engine better
than my video. I agree with everything said in this video. My only complaint with the engine is with
the chuff sounds. At slower speeds it sounds great, but as you speed the engine up, you get to a point
that the chuff starts to sound like a machine gun. So you will find yourself running at a slower speed
than maybe your old Gilbert steamers. Not that big of deal. Its just what I noticed. Also the video mentions
whitewall wheels. Not all the engines get the whitewalls. I have 2 of these engines and only one has the whitewalls.
It depends on the road name. There is very little to not like on these engines. I doubt these wll last 70 years
like our Gilbert ones.

Lionel American Flyer FlyerChief 2-8-4 NKP Berkshire - Bing video
What's the product # for the engine?

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
The product number depends on which roadname and number you want. For example, the Pere Marquette is available in two road numbers. 44022 is #1225 and 44023 is #1223. Yes, the engine includes its own remote. It will also run conventional without the remote. It will also run from the LionChieff App on a cell phone and it has Bluetooth.

·
Registered
6,847 Posts
The product number depends on which roadname and number you want. For example, the Pere Marquette is available in two road numbers. 44022 is #1225 and 44023 is #1223. Yes, the engine includes its own remote. It will also run conventional without the remote. It will also run from the LionChieff App on a cell phone and it has Bluetooth.
I'll let my buddy know, thanks for the info...

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
As Tom said the remote is included with the locomotive. No matter how you control the engine, you need an AC transformer hooked up to the track and at about half throttle or a little more. I like running the engine with my phone. With the Lionel app and my phone I have more features than with just the remote.
its a neat setup. The learning curve is easy.

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
I found the coupler would not fire at 12.5V, otherwise the engine ran fine. I kept the track voltage at 14V for 100% reliable operation. I had the version 1 of the Berk. Maybe the version 2 has other differences beside the sound sets and BT.

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
I have not tried the coupler yet. I have not pulled any cars yet. As shown in the review video
the engine will pull plenty of cars. Has traction tires.

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
When you begin using the engines regularly I think you will find the couplers are the first to stop working as the voltage is lowered. At 12.5V the couplers would not fire. At 13.5V they fired about 90% of the time and that 10% no response rate was annoying. At 14V everything works 100% of the time. I was looking for a lower voltage because of all the cars with incandescent bulbs on the layout.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I love my #1225 Berk, if only I could get a trailing truck axle bearing for it.... ridiculous.
Mr. Gilbert would not be happy about current "American Flyer" customer service.
Yep, I did a separate post about this.

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

I have a 1225 Berk also. One heck of an engine. I also have a 765 Berk.
What happened to the trailing truck.

I don't call these American Flyers. They are Lionel. I am not fond of most
Lionel S scale engines. The FlyerChiefs are an exception.

Pere Marquette 1225 and Nickel Plate Road 765 run side by side - YouTube

Here are the prototypes

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
44020 NP and 44023 Pere Marquette are each $289.99. 44021 NP and 44022 Pere Marquette are each $269.99. They were all $369.99 in the 2020 AF catalog. The only difference is the cab number. Perhaps there is more stock left of the numbers that are $20 less expensive.

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
Kenny, I must have purchased your allocation. I bought one FC Berk, two Legacy Berks and three of the new Legacy Light Pacifics. I still have one of the new releases of the Y3 on order.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

I have a 1225 Berk also. One heck of an engine. I also have a 765 Berk.
What happened to the trailing truck.

I don't call these American Flyers. They are Lionel. I am not fond of most
Lionel S scale engines. The FlyerChiefs are an exception.

Pere Marquette 1225 and Nickel Plate Road 765 run side by side - YouTube

Here are the prototypes
Yes, these are definitely Chionel products. Old man Gilbert would not approve.
I figured at $250 for a loco, 3 cars, power pack, and track, it was a deal.
I need to put another $20 into getting the rear axle back in, but hey...
This is my first S size locomotive. I'll post more once she is rolling.

Chionel was absolutely no help, they told me I had to buy a complete trailing truck, then told me its not available.
I found the bearing number, myself, but its out of stock.

So, I'll buy a pilot truck, and harvest the parts. More on my 1225 Berk later.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts