Model Train Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 44 ton center cab Leigh Valley diesel, basic model, and it has a buzzing sound that's very loud and annoying and I was wondering how to get rid of such sound. I believe its a contact on the E-Unit that's causing the problem.

Any help would be much appreciated!

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,977 Posts
Is it always buzzing or just when you put it in neutral to change direction?
These were kind of loud normally.

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,977 Posts
That buzz is normal.

Mine does it, it is quite loud.

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,977 Posts
Wait till someone else chimes in, maybe an electronic e unit would work?

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
No possible way to fix it? At all? It ruins the "Horn on the siding" actions

You are hearing the 60 cycle buzz of the e unit.

There is a way to fix it. Convert your layout to DC. I did it with my 1033 transformers.

It is beyond the scope of the forum, I believe, to instruct you how to do it. You can also convert the loco to DC. Both techniques require a bridge rectifier.

One advantage is accessories which use a solenoid, will be quiet. However, accessories using the coil and drive washer, like the rotating beacon, won't work.

All of my knowlege comes from trial and error and a gent who sold me rectifiers at an inflated price. I suggest you buddy up with an EE.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So trains don't run in DC as it is? Excuse my ignorance, I am trying to get into the wiring and repair aspect of the hobby.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
You can install a bridge rectifier inside the loco to convert the 60 Hz AC from the track to DC. You will also need to add a capacitor to smooth out the full wave rectified DC from the bridge. Then, you will also need to drop the DC voltage to a lower lever so you don't cook the coil in the E unit. If you don't know about RMS AC and rectified DC, you might need to educate youself before you do this project.

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,977 Posts
You can install a bridge rectifier inside the loco to convert the 60 Hz AC from the track to DC. You will also need to add a capacitor to smooth out the full wave rectified DC from the bridge. Then, you will also need to drop the DC voltage to a lower lever so you don't cook the coil in the E unit. If you don't know about RMS AC and rectified DC, you might need to educate youself before you do this project.
Would an electronic e unit work?

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
The buzz sound has been around over 75 years since the introduction of the e-unit. It's part of the charm of operating PW Lionel trains.

You can eliminate it with a bridge rectifier or replacing the mechanical e-unit with an electronic one. You can buy a Williams 44-toner for not too much these days. They are excellent copies of the Lionel PW design and use all electronic controls so no buzz.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So is that the only way to stop a buzzing E-unit? I'd rather keep it A/C, I just want to stop the noise or quiet it down a lot

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm starting to think if I am going to buy just the board I may as well buy a new 44 ton'er for 100 bucks that comes with the board, headlight, and horn. Hmmmmmm, debates man.

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,977 Posts
How much do you want for the Lehigh Valley?

What kind of shape is it in?
Is it the #625 or #627?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts