Model Train Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while ago I read that these accessories may buzz a bit if connected to AC as the solenoid "chatters" when the current reverses.

Could a bridge rectifier or diode be used to drive it with DC instead and quiet it down? I have a few spares so I thought if I had a chance I would try it.

·
Admin
45,119 Posts
You can drive them with DC, but you have to remember that rectified DC may still result in a buzz. Also, the reactance of the coil is greater than the DC resistance, so if it's activated for any length of time, it may overheat unless you reduce the voltage to it. Finally, operation with DC of a long period may magnetize the core and cause it to stick.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I run my gateman and crossing gate with a RS bridge rectifier without any problems.

My DC power is 12v.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
37 Posts
Anyone have any thoughts on why a gateman would not retract back into the house? Mine pops out and stays out. The only way to get him back in is to manually close the door with my finger or to cut the power to him. I’ve tried WD40 on the gear underneath, to no avail.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I agree, check the spring. What model Gateman is it? You may have to carefully bend out the tabs holding the bottom on to examine it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts