Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 219 Posts

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two painting projects coming up. It’s been a while...

One is a re-lettering job that I will try to get right on an MTH USRA 0-6-0. It is currently lettered for C&NW but I am going to make it into a NYC locomotive.

I have the decals and picked up some lacquer thinner today. I never tried removing just lettering from a model, so good results are not guaranteed!

Next will be a undecorated Atlas three Rail GP9 which I will be painting into Penn Central. It is basic black with just decaling and handrail painting. There just isn’t enough Penn Central stuff out there...

Finally, I have a MTH NYC woodside caboose I am altering and painting. It is a Railking caboose and for some reason, MTH designed it with the trucks too close to the ends. I am moving the trucks inward to their proper locations and doing some painting.

Hopefully I will have some results for you all soon.

Tom

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
I have started rebuilding my MTH FEF. Most parts except the boiler have been stripped and repainted black. Major missing pieces like the front truck and tender frame have arrived. Motor mount made and Pittman motor installed. Next hurdle is to complete the smokebox front.

Here is what I started with.

Frame with front truck installed and 9433 15.1v Pittman. I may swap the motor out for a larger 9434 as there is room. After tuning it draws .1 amp at 2 volts.
image.jpg

Pete

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pete, That is quite an undertaking. I haven’t the facilities to do “heavy repairs” just yet.

It will be great to see your finished project!

Tom

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow! Is the baggage car a recent release? I like the detailing.

Tom

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
Modified a flywheel from a Lionel J3 Hudson for the FEF project. Added the brass ring machined from a pipe elbow so I could mount a tach tape. This engine will get PS3. Would have skipped the ring if this was going to get ERR.

image.jpeg

Pete

·
Registered
114 Posts
No interesting or worthwhile projects like others have shared, but I did make a sign for an animated accessory on my layout. It started out as a key fob (a joke), but have since decided to use it on the layout instead.

DSC02507.JPG

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Love the "Poo Master." :D

I recently replaced a storage track with a parking lot for the grandkids' vehicles. They like to play with them on the covered adjacent pool table when they get tired of running the trains.

IMG_3935.jpg

Hadn't made any changes on this layout in a long time.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Pete building flywheels. Cool. The metalwork you guys do here always impresses me.

Doug, the Poo Master is well placed, especially with the door open. Fun when a freight train passes but a bit embarrassing when a passenger train goes by and everyone is looking in!

Vern, funny how the kids gravitate towards the cars they move with their hands. I guess they prefer the play value of cars and trucks. Just don’t leave them on the tracks!
Are those Ford pick up trucks? They look sharp.

Tom

·
Registered
471 Posts
A couple of passenger train projects. One is painting/decorating two LIONEL 15" aluminum offset domes in Northern Pacific North Coast Limited livery. They will complete a seven-car NP NCL train pulled by PW F-3 AB locomotives that I did about 15 years ago.

I was fortunate to find a skilled painter to shoot the vista domes (after I had tried every masking technique and product I could find and failed repeatedly), and I had custom decals made for the project several years ago.

One will be NP NCL dome coach 559 and the other dome sleeper 306. Both prototypes were owned by SP&S Ry. Co. and used on the NCL and the models will be decorated accordingly.

The other paint project is another PW F-3 AA pair pulling a seven car consist of LIONEL 15" aluminum cars decorated in Great Northern Empire Builder livery.

I'll post some photos of these projects when I'm done or close to being done.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Thanks Doug. Yes, die cast vehicles really are a must-have for those of us train runners with grandkids. :)

Vern, funny how the kids gravitate towards the cars they move with their hands. I guess they prefer the play value of cars and trucks. Just don’t leave them on the tracks!
Are those Ford pick up trucks? They look sharp.Tom
Thanks Tom. It IS interesting how grandkids of certain ages love playing with those as much or more as they do running the trains.

Of the 3 pickups in the parking lot photo, the first 2 are Fords that came with a Lionel Union Pacific flatcar I obtained several years ago on Ebay at a steal. I now use the flatcar on a shelf display with a Greyhound Scenicruiser as its load.

IMG_3936.jpg

The other Ford pickup came with a Lionel Santa Fe flatcar. I also use this flatcar on the same shelf display as a log car when it's not on the layout. The "logs" were really support dowels used to hold up a third loop of elevated track on the layout. But with 3 trains running all on Fastrack, it was so noisy, you couldn't even carry on a conversation. So I took it down. I know, too much information. Sorry. :eek:

IMG_3937.jpg

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Vern, They look like ‘51 Fords. Nice. The Greyhound bus is equally as impressive.

The elevated loop must have been something. Those dowels look pretty substantial. Is your entire layout winter scenes? Looks great.

I have a friend who does HO and N scale. When he found out I was getting into O scale, he told me they were going to be noisy. To me, that’s half the fun...lol

Tom

1 - 20 of 219 Posts