Model Train Forum banner

181 - 200 of 219 Posts

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
Thanks guys. Building models is really the hobby for me, not so much running trains. Not sure I will try a project this ambitious again unless I get all my ducks in a row before hand. It would have been easier if this was a Lionel engine as ordering parts is so much easier and then I was held up for months trying to find decent decals. Microscale getting out of O scale was big loss. If Precision Scale ever closes its doors I might have find a different hobby.

Pete

·
Registered
91 Posts
Well with my ATSF Hudson done sans decals I'm turning my attention to my other project. It's a Premier WP GS64 that I got from the same guy I picked up my ATSF Hudson from (same guy Pete got his FEF from). I'll be turning it into SP GS6 #4460. It'll get a PS3 steam kit. So far all I've done is repaint the tender and change the number boards on the smoke box.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
Looking good Lou. I have a ton of SP HO decals but nothing in O scale. Can't help much on this one.
Does this have a mux board and is the engine tether connection in the shell or the frame? The FEF had its connector in the shell but I moved the PS3 harness to the frame and replaced the mux board with my own 6V supply.

Pete

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Enon, With a color inkjet printer and heavy card stock, you could print brick or stone walls. Maybe even some (weathered) signs on the walls - if you're somewhat adept at Photoshop like apps.

Or you can paste the printouts to 1/4" thick foam board like These products.

Foam.png

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #186
Great looking stuff there guys!

Enon, the village looks very festive. Is that a trolley line in the front of the buildings?

Pete, the transformation on the FEF is outstanding. It looks like everything turned out perfect.

Lou, the GS6 looks great in black. I always liked the “skyline” boiler effect.

Great work! Keep it up!

Tom

·
Registered
91 Posts
Looking good Lou. I have a ton of SP HO decals but nothing in O scale. Can't help much on this one.
Does this have a mux board and is the engine tether connection in the shell or the frame? The FEF had its connector in the shell but I moved the PS3 harness to the frame and replaced the mux board with my own 6V supply.

Pete
It came with no boards or wiring, so I'll end up wiring the whole thing. This one has the tether connector board mount in the shell. I haven decided if I'll keep the PS3 tether connector there or move it to the chassis yet. I'll probably end up moving it to the chassis to make it easier. I haven't looked to see if I'll have to do anything beyond drilling mounting holes for the board screws in the chassis. Did you have to do any grinding on the FEF chassis to mount the tether board?

Lighting plan is to run everything off the headlamp circuit. I do all LED lighting so it'll be fine. I won't have the ability to turn the markers, cab light, or firebox light off independently from the headlamp but that's fine with me. On my factory PS2 locomotives I run all the lights all the time. I just want the thing to be dark when not addressed by DCS.

ATSF Hudson was easy to wire. PS3 kit pretty much just dropped into the factory locations without issue. Tender is a hodgepodge of a Premier Blue Goose frame and trucks (trucks and toolboxes painted black) and a Lionel 20K gallon ATSF tender shell from a 3751 class Northern. It didn't come with a tender so I made my own ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
I had to mill off the tether connector mounts in the shell, then drill and tap holes in the frame to mount the PS3 connector. MTH designed their kits for PS1 engines where the just drop in. This engine was like doing a non MTH engine.

Pete

·
Registered
91 Posts
I had to mill off the tether connector mounts in the shell, then drill and tap holes in the frame to mount the PS3 connector. MTH designed their kits for PS1 engines where the just drop in. This engine was like doing a non MTH engine.

Pete
I've got a PS1 GS4 that was converted by someone else to PS2 3V using the old PS2 upgrade kit. That has the tether connector mounted to the chassis. MTH must have changed the mounting with PS2. I haven't looked closely at how wire routing will go with the GS6. If I mount the tether connector in the shell I'll need to install disconnects for the motor and power/ground wires. It's kind of a situation of which mounting is going to be less of a pain to route wires in the boiler.

The ATSF Hudson was easy. My factory PS2 3V ATSF Hudson has the tether connector mounted the same as the one I converted, with a MUX board for lighting control, so the PS3 kit was basically a drop in affair. The Blue Goose chassis was the same way. Both are models of the same locomotive, one streamlined, one not. I've now got 3 Premier ATSF Hudson's, 2 of which I put back together from parts. I blame Pat for that ;)

·
Admin
43,203 Posts
FWIW, the PS/2 upgrade and PS/3 upgrade are pretty much the same functionality, so I'm not sure why you'd spend the money for the PS/3 upgrade if the PS/2 board is still functional.

FWIW, I have the MTH FEF that I upgraded to TMCC, and it also had the shell mounted connector. There was also an internal connector between the shell and frame, so I retained their tether wiring and just adapted it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
FWIW, the PS/2 upgrade and PS/3 upgrade are pretty much the same functionality, so I'm not sure why you'd spend the money for the PS/3 upgrade if the PS/2 board is still functional.

FWIW, I have the MTH FEF that I upgraded to TMCC, and it also had the shell mounted connector. There was also an internal connector between the shell and frame, so I retained their tether wiring and just adapted it.
John both the ATSF Hudson I installed a PS3 steam kit in and the SP GS I'm going to install a PS3 steam kit in came to me with no wiring. No harness, no boards, nothing. Empty boilers and tenders. I had to start from scratch, so I used a PS3 kit. I believe Pete's FEF was the same way.

The guy we got the locomotives from buys stuff that was gutted by MTH for warranty repairs, hence why all the wiring and boards are gone.

·
Admin
43,203 Posts
Well, starting from scratch is... starting from scratch. That would color the upgrade. ;) My FEF came without boards with all the wiring was still intact. It had actually been upgraded "badly" to TMCC. I ripped out all of that, and did a proper installation.

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
You can put PS3 into any locomotive that has a DC motor and the room. Unless you have a Plymouth I would think you have the room.

Pete

181 - 200 of 219 Posts