Model Train Forum banner

201 - 220 of 226 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
These were oil fired so I doubt there was much flicker anyway. Looking good so far.

Pete
Oh yeah. I'm not looking for crazy flicker like a coal fired locomotive. Just a slight variance in the glow from the firebox. My other steam locomotives (all oil fired as I only have ATSF and SP models) have a steady red light. Even oil fired there is a bit of flicker, which I'm hoping is the effect these 2 LEDs create. If it works out I'll retrofit my other locomotives.

·
Registered
95 Posts
It appears you mounted the new connector on top of the old connector????

Pete
Nope. The connector is mounted to a piece of plastic which is mounted to the spot the factory connector was mounted. Had to do it that way to push the connector far enough back so the tether would engage with it.

The idea of mounting the connector to the chassis was nixed because the chassis sits back from the rear of the shell by about 1/3", so the connector wouldn't be able to mount to anything, instead it would just kinda float, which is no good. With the chassis installed you can see the entire connector besides the furthest back diode when looking at it from the bottom.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Ok thanks. What looks like the old board must be your plastic shim.

Pete
Yup. The board is on top of a plastic sheet as a shim. I think the below picture should illustrate why I had to mount the board to a shim on the shell rather than the chassis. There's a large gap between the end of the chassis and the back of the cab where the tether comes through.
20200316_091753_1584374386863.jpg

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #207
I finished the SB slug unit. A few little tweaks to complete, but pretty much finished. Based on an Alco S2 frame. Next one will be a PB&NE slug based on a SW8 frame.

I learned a few things building this. Many improvements can be included in the next one...

Tom

Attachments

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Very nice work. And a beautiful matching set.

The slug has motors only, correct? What was the other term? A unit including a diesel and a generator?

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #209
Thanks Mike. Yes, the slug had traction motors only. There were air hoses and electric cables that connected the slug to the parent unit, a regular locomotive. I need to figure out a way to model the cables/hoses between the slug and the locomotive.

The engine I used in the pic is a Cambria and Indiana SW8. I have a South Buffalo Alco S2 that slug will be paired with. I just used the C&I unit for the pics as I am too lazy to dig out the S2...lol.

They were both Bethlehem Steel owned railroads, thus the same style yellow and black paint jobs...

Tom

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Very cool Tom. I like your choice of roadnames. Did you have any difficulty finding decals?

Pete

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #211
Thanks Pete.

Actually, they are in production now. I had some old HO decals from years ago, but they were just a tad large for the slug. I bought new HO ones from Netzlof and they were just the right size. They make O scale too. I have a couple sets for future projects.

The safety slogan decals came from K4 products on EBay. I used some from their caboose lettering set.

Here is the Netzlof site...

https://www.cmrproducts.com/store/Netzlof-Design-Decals-c23115057

Tom

·
Registered
197 Posts
Tom, nice job scratch building the slug. And the paint job is very good.

Nice project, Ed

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #213
Thank you Ed.

I used a Testor’s yellow spray. I wasn’t too happy with the finish, but it evened out when I finished it with a clear dull coat.

The next project will use Scalecoat 2 for the yellow. I have a few samples to test for similarity. The SB used an industrial yellow that would fade with age, so various shades of yellow were common on SB equipment...

Tom

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #215
I am starting a new slug unit for the PB&NE. It will be partnered with my PB&NE SW8. It will look similar to the EMD based units below...

8A390E5F-D57A-4B05-B2A9-894E7756A8E4.jpeg 04B347C3-0C51-4B6A-B798-50258539C086.jpeg

I took two MTH SW8 bodies and cut them at about the 1/3rd mark on one and the 2/3rd mark on the second shell. After doing the length cuts, I did the cut to reduce the height of the hoods. I did a lot of filing to get clean sides, free of door and vent details. Once the two ends are joined, a ton of filling and sanding will take place. In the picture, they are still in their rough form and just sitting on the frame.

6D8D7C94-4670-4BA4-9D13-68F4DB09C16B.jpeg

The frame is altered by adding the short handrails. They are loose in front of the frame in the picture. I will complete the frame first and paint the steps and frame separately.

More to follow...

Tom

·
Registered
39 Posts
Tom - fantastic work on the Alco slug. Can't wait to see how the EMD unit comes out.

Just finished detailing and painting a Weaver RS-3.

NH 531 1.png
NH 531 2.png
NH 531 3.png
NH 531 4.png

Handrails, grab irons, steam generator stack, wire grill on the hood top, and horns are P&D detail parts. The small steam generator cap (between the horn and the end of the short hood) is made out of bass wood. The cab signal box and generator above it (on the engineers side walkway next to the cab) I desgined and had 3-D printed.

Paint is Scalecoat II, Pullman Green and New Haven Orange. Decals were from an old Microscale sheet.

~C.Vigs

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,314 Posts
Very nice. (y) I liked.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Fixed a 3rd Rail Big Boy today.

Recent purchase, shelf queen, never ran.

Upon deliver I saw a broken number board & the bell was missing, which I later found in the box. Was able to solder the number board back to the boiler. Mounting the bell is going to be a little complicated.

As I took a part the gear box to clean & lube it, the front “engine” gear box cover wasn’t properly seated.

On the test track, it was binding. Rods were hitting the brackets. I took the front “engine“ apart and found bent hanger brackets, missing screws. Fortunately, I had correct size screws.

I carefully straightened the bent hangers and bracket. Checked for interference, and reassembled. While I had everything apart, I took the time to tighten a lot of loose screws, haha!

on the test track it ran beautifully!

Next, No sound-I literally love the simple repairs, and this one was. The sound board was laying in the tender shell. I put it back together & checked other connections.

on the test track, it sounded great! Those old QSI sounds sure sound awesome, haha!

Brass locomotives always need a little “tweaking” out of the box, this was no exception.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #219
Great looking locomotive, Vigs. The detail and paint work is outstanding!

Tom

201 - 220 of 226 Posts